Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical vin numbers

vin numbers

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Tue Jul 25, 2000 7:48 pm

I've have never seen this on a generator motor, but I've seen it a couple times on 70 and up both on the motor and the frame. Usually they are correcting a mistake made by the guy stamping the number.

Post Wed Jul 26, 2000 2:45 pm

I run a '72 sidecar frame stamped as such, but with EXACTLY the same number! I have noted an odd 70's sportster with such a mess also. The Illinois authorities accept them, as they have no reason not to.

Post Thu Jul 27, 2000 10:37 pm

I think that no matter how legal it may be, that in the right place with the wrong cop, you are gonna have trouble. It would probably be best to find a replacement set of cases or buy new aftermarket. Even then you must always carry all the paperwork. Jerry

Post Fri Jul 28, 2000 2:59 am

Whoa, now! Don't go stamping something yerself or you will felonize the hardware fer sure. Contact a STATE-LICENSED dealer who knows the bureaucratic B.S.! If they are professional at all, they should walk you through inspection and any title corrections through your local authorities for a minor fee, if not as just a courtesy. If you are in Illinois, post me direct.

Return to General Whatever-Technical