FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to Restore Your Military Harley-Davidson

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

DeltaMike

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:32 am

Re: How to Restore Your Military Harley-Davidson

Looks like we see things the same way Pa.
I respect Bruce.
I copied the WLC section for me.
I am asking Bruce for his permission to let other chaps have a copy.
<<

MarkBranst

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:21 am

Thank you Pa.

For the record, "fair use" of copyrighted material allows you to make copies for your OWN use. The day you start distributing copies to others, you are no longer practicing "fair use" and you are breaking the law.

Second, Delta Mike, if you would take the time to look at the Google version of the original "How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson" you would learn that the WHOLE book is NOT available on line. That is a "teaser" which allows someone to preview the book prior to buying it. Mr. Palmer spent a lot of time creating this volume, and the publisher spent a lot of money putting it together ... It is their intellectual property as long as the copyright holds, and they deserve to be compensated fairly.

Mark
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:46 am

MarkBranst wrote:Thank you Pa.

For the record, "fair use" of copyrighted material allows you to make copies for your OWN use. The day you start distributing copies to others, you are no longer practicing "fair use" and you are breaking the law.

Second, Delta Mike, if you would take the time to look at the Google version of the original "How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson" you would learn that the WHOLE book is NOT available on line. That is a "teaser" which allows someone to preview the book prior to buying it. Mr. Palmer spent a lot of time creating this volume, and the publisher spent a lot of money putting it together ... It is their intellectual property as long as the copyright holds, and they deserve to be compensated fairly.

Mark

Exactly Mark and that is the real definition of the word FAIR. :D
<<

DeltaMike

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:03 pm

Thank you for defining what 'Fair use' means in your country Mark.
It has a different meaning where I come from.

Have Google reduced the amount of the book they published then Mark?
It was much more than a teaser the last time I looked.
Google has too many fleas on it's back for me.

Anyhow, does your nit picking reduce the value of the reason for asking the question?
That Bruce is generous.

Anyhow, you can carp on to your hearts content Mark
I have got dirt to scratch and eggs to lay..

Over and out.
<<

Brendan

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:51 pm

The book is worth every cent. I'm greatful it was written. The research must have taken forever. I hope Bruce gets out from under the thumb of "publisher's greed". I didn't know all this.
My copy doesn't make it to the garage.

Publishers,,,,,,,,,,Layers,,,,,,,,,,insurance companies nothing but tread marks

Still waiting for Dan Fogerty to climb out.
<<

Bruce Palmer III

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Hello All,

It has been a long time since I have visited the forum and I just found out about this thread a few days ago.

I have just finished business with my former publisher (last month) and have the full rights back to my non-military book. I am now in the middle of a full blown 2nd edition of the original book.

As to a PDF version or any electronic copy of either book, I am the copyright owner and under no circumstance do I authorize or approve of digitizing the books or portions thereof. They are meant to be print. Both were illegally exposed on Amazon, and the non-military book exposed on Google-Books. Those files have been removed.

If the 2nd edition of the non-military book is successful, I hope to bring out an updated reprint of the military book but that is down the road.

Thank you all for your interest.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:22 pm

Good to see you back on Bruce. I emailed and called you but received no answers. I wanted to inform you of this topic but you must have lost my voicemail and email. Until now, it went by the wayside with no more comments. I figured the topic had ended so there was no need for me to have you address the issue contained in it, thus no more emails and calls on the topic to you. Give me a shout when you get a chance my Friend. Pa / Paul / Paps
<<

George Greer

Post Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:05 pm

Bruce Palmer III wrote:Hello All,

It has been a long time since I have visited the forum and I just found out about this thread a few days ago.

I have just finished business with my former publisher (last month) and have the full rights back to my non-military book. I am now in the middle of a full blown 2nd edition of the original book.

As to a PDF version or any electronic copy of either book, I am the copyright owner and under no circumstance do I authorize or approve of digitizing the books or portions thereof. They are meant to be print. Both were illegally exposed on Amazon, and the non-military book exposed on Google-Books. Those files have been removed.

If the 2nd edition of the non-military book is successful, I hope to bring out an updated reprint of the military book but that is down the road.

Thank you all for your interest.

I am intestered in your updated book as soon as it is finished.

George Greer

PS, Is there going to be any more detailed information concerning engines, engine cylinders, and identification, with pics? I think that the panhead section is lacking.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:14 pm

DeltaMike wrote:Have Google reduced the amount of the book they published then Mark?
It was much more than a teaser the last time I looked.
Over and out.

Bruce's lawyer whacked their pee pee over that.
<<

justanneels

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:16 am

Has there been an update for this? It has been over a year since anything was posted. I would hate to buy a $400 book and it be released the following month for $50.

Thanks,

J
<<

DeltaMike

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:07 am

justanneels wrote:Has there been an update for this? It has been over a year since anything was posted. I would hate to buy a $400 book and it be released the following month for $50.

Thanks,

J

http://www.ebay.com/itm/How-to-Restore- ... 2ecbada1f5

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=HO ... %2CPanhead

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/ ... y-Davidson
<<

45Brit

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:37 am

well, I have Bruce Palmer's "How To Restore Your Harley Davidson" and I'd say it's the best thing in print on the subject and worth every penny. I have a particular view here, because I am a professional engineer and paying $150 on up for textbooks is nothing new, that's the cost of properly researched books in fairly small editions. Anyone expecting a book like this to sell for coffee-table photo-collection prices isn't fooling anyone but themselves.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:22 am

45Brit wrote:well, I have Bruce Palmer's "How To Restore Your Harley Davidson" and I'd say it's the best thing in print on the subject and worth every penny. I have a particular view here, because I am a professional engineer and paying $150 on up for textbooks is nothing new, that's the cost of properly researched books in fairly small editions. Anyone expecting a book like this to sell for coffee-table photo-collection prices isn't fooling anyone but themselves.

You said a mouth full and all of it is true. Bruce's newest book is in the works and I am excited for the time when it is finally completed, published.... and released. I've not met many as bright and knowledgable as Bruce. I have also not met many as personally helpful, kind, generous, friendly, and honest as he is as well.
<<

justanneels

Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:22 pm

So....there is no update of when the new book is being released.
<<

RUBONE

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Bruce is looking at a mid 2014 release date at this time. Some important information is not completely finalized at this time.
Be patient Grasshopper!
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:49 pm

So far the new book is at 840 pages. A hell of a lot of new information. Bruce had hoped for a December 2013 release but it is now looking like Summer of 2014.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:00 pm

Now over 900 pages and heading to press at the end of this month. A new edition of the military book may be started after the big book is done.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:02 pm

milwaukee belle wrote:not republished coz Bruce is in trouble with his publisher .
i think he signed kinda "exclusivity contract"
then ; now : the publisher decide to stop the printing coz he didn't won enough money with this book .
not enough interressant :roll:

Bruce is 'in jail" ....under contract ...waiting for his freedom .

Bruce in jail? Thats good one. I talk to Bruce on a daily basis and I can guarntee that he is not and hasn't been in jail.
As for the military book the publisher chose not to reprint it. Bruce has regained the rights to the book and may redo it after the new edition of the big book.
If you look inside both of Bruce's books you will see they are trademark licensed by Harley-Davidson.
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:05 pm

hey :-) when i said "in jail" : this was just an expression ( slang )
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Chris Haynes wrote:Now over 900 pages and heading to press at the end of this month. A new edition of the military book may be started after the big book is done.

That is good news Chris. An updated version is definitely a plus with all the information that has surfaced over the last several years.
PreviousNext

Return to 45 Flatties