FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

65A Generator

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

George Greer

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:06 pm

65A Generator

I saved my Euros and took the advice of a good Dr.

And being this is my 1st try at rebuilding a generator I did this.

I have a 65A generator, and built it up of 99% NOS parts.

I used, as advised a 6Volt armature, and 12Volt field coils. all NOS. new bearings, seals brush's....etc

Built her up yesterday, then took the instructions given here by board members and hooked it up to a battery......yep it motors! But not very fast, so how fast should it spin? Happy Camper so far.,,

Now my question is:

Given the parts used, does anyone have a idea of the power that it will produce? On my 58 project, I will not be using a lot of lighting.......ya know....headlight, tail light-running light and turnsignals.

Other that the fit of the drive gear (sloppy and not NOS) it's ok...........but I think that I will try and find a NOS one with the oil slinger. Used or NOS if I can find one. My parts manual lists one with it, and one without. (any advantage/disadvantage to using either one?).

Thanks to all that gave me advice with this.

George
<<

Frankenstein

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:03 am

Re: 65A Generator

Hi George,
As long as it motors, you should be in business. It should make an easy 10 amps @12 nominal volts. I suspect it's capable of more, but that's enough for a 100W halogen, and all the usual loads. You shouldn't need a slinger on a Pan, nothing to block. I'm anxious to know how this works as it's only been a grand theory that I haven't tried myself. However, it is along the lines of the 32E conversion which I've been using for years.
Keep me posted,
DD
<<

George Greer

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:01 am

Herr Dr!!

It took me a bit, but I got it all together....... :D

The generator does motor, about the same speed as a hand held battery powered drill.

I used as many NOS parts that I could in it.

The slinger however.....is repo and fits really sloppy on the armature shaft...

But JWBoon in Holland has a NOS gear, with the slinger.. like the one on the 32E.

I am a bit leary of trying to get another repo gear.......cuz I am afraid it will be just as sloppy as the one I have now.

And I figure, since all the other parts are NOS, well....almost everything.........I will know that the generator gear will fit a heck of a lot better than what I got.

I want to thank you for the advice!

Now, getting it together on the bike is going to take a bit of time........so Stay Tuned :D

George
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:36 am

Wow George. A man after me own heart...NOS. :D Did you document the genny build ? It would make for a great topic.
<<

George Greer

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:14 am

Paul,

Sorry to say, I did not.....I am for one a horrible photo taking individual.

I do have another question about this, and I am apologizing in advance for being a dummy...

What is the difference in operation between a 13 tooth gear..........and a 14 tooth gear.

They both mesh with the idler gear just fine....why the difference in 1 tooth?

I did take the old rusted one and it fits the NOS armature a LOT better than the repo one.

George
<<

d.rinner-okc

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:33 pm

not 100% of the answer, but I'll bite: The Sportster and Big Twin shared a Generator, the 14 tooth went on the Sportster to slow the generator down a little, because the Sporter was usually run @ higher rpms. It boiled the batteries.
old harley parts are MY 401K!

Return to Pans