Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

don

Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:43 pm

<<

don

Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:53 am

Conan,
Just got off work, Saw Your post, Did a Web google.com search, Gets better results than Metacrawler or Dogpile, And You can search Groups such as tech-harley by subject.
I figured You'd might have a handle on the switch wiring by now.
don
<<

HOOTER

Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:58 am

Conan

If your wiring it for the three brush generator you may need to run jumper leads from one terminal to another for the correct connect path for the lighting brush with the lights on and system disconnect when lights off/ignition off.

2 brush generator switch wiring would be just like a 3 pole key ignition switch.

I've done a few of these thru the years and been a few years since I had to transpose one. I have found a few variations of (71525-36 just for an example) the switch mounting plate assembly.

My first encounter was helping a buddy rewire his 51 Pan back in our dumb highschool days. We used a wiring diagram that was meant for a different switch, either the right one for the year bike that had the wrong switch on it or viceversa. Either way, being green, something just quite didn't seem right even tho all the wires were on the correct terminals....turned the switch on...burnt the harness. From then on, with any wiring I do with any switch, I use the stock diagram and wire it to whatever switch's demands in its custom situation.

The 6 pole switch will need the front center pole cut off if used on a 2 lite cover.

You may need to turn the switch mounting plate 180 for best results, maybe not. Take your time and track your connections.

Best-O-luck

HOOT
<<

HOOTER

Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:02 am

Just to add.
What ever the latest type charging system that is being used on this '42 UL, use a wiring diagram that includes that charging system for your reference point.

Return to 45 Flatties