FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Frame rebuild?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

45Brit

Post Mon May 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Frame rebuild?

Getting further involved in this 45" project bike now. I'm increasingly coming to think this frame may be a reconstructed Servicar unit.

It has a 1" neck which fits a Shovelhead stem - that's why I fitted the Shovelead forks, that and I wanted some brakes! When we fitted the rear mudguard it became obvious that the position of the crossbrace was wrong, and it has become increasingly apparent that the various forgings in the area behind the seat post are missing. In short, the bike seems to have a fabricated back end.

This all makes me suspect it is a fabricated unit based on a Servicar front, because the backbone forging and seat post base forgings are certainly there.

Anyone have experience of such a thing?
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Steve

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Frame rebuild?

Yes,
Ony the later Hydraglide Servicars had provisions for 1" neck stem
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:43 pm

I tend to agree with Steve because it is easily possible to cut a forward frame section from a later Servi-Car frame and add a solo rear section to it to make it a solo only frame. Then again, maybe only the neck forging was changed out ?
<<

45Brit

Post Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:15 am

Looking closely at various photos I'm as sure as I can be, that the forward frame section, lower chain stays and rear axle plates belong together. There is a repair at the base of the seat post, and upper chain stays are definitely fabricated. The WR style rear frame stays, were done as part of this project. So, my best guess is that the 1" neck was done when the frame was modified.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Return to 45 Flatties