woody

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:25 am

Re: Project Knucklebolt hits the road

Anti social tendencies?
<<

knucklebolt

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:46 pm

More like anti-stupidity tendencies. I can't quite see, understand, or accept turn signals on a 1937 flathead Harley Davidson as anything but stupid. And conscientious, state sanctioned stupidity at that.

Started putting them on after work today, and I have to admit, I spent more time laughing at the stupidity of it, than cussing it. !!!

k.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:37 pm

There she is, legal and ready to roll. Had as much trouble with the Dept. of Licensing as I did with LEO, but I finally got her done...although she's now a 2013 "homemade" vehicle. Yeah right.

Thank you all for listening, and all the technical advice. Now it's time for me to ride!

Knucklehead Ken.
Attachments
DSC01436.JPG
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:50 pm

Outstanding Bro !!! Just plain outstanding !!!
<<

woody

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:24 am

Looking good, Ken. Where's the turn signals? :)
<<

knucklebolt

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Hush! Be verwee verwee quiet. I think I got a bad batch of lock-tite.

k.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:07 pm

You know ???? A pair of bullet lights for turn signals on the back would look good IMO. I had lantern style ones on a bike in the 1970's that enhanced the appearance of a chopper of mine just to please the authorities.
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:52 am

Ha ha, I remember lantern style lights on choppers!
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:06 am

If you hadn't told them you had a replacement frame they wouldn't have known. When registering anything don't volenteer any information.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:05 pm

On the frame, I just wasn't confident that the guys doing inspections would not know a stock Harley frame from a Paughco. Just wasn't sure enough. If they caught me in a lie, then I was afraid that they would make it even more difficult, if not impossible, to license the bike. But I certainly could be wrong there...just had to go with my instincts.

If I had planned on turn signals to begin with, I could have found a way to minimize the wiring, and make it look okay. But adding them on as an after thought, after I had carefully planned my build, just resulted in too much visible wiring. One of my goals with this bike, which I achieved, was to keep it very clean...no wires running all over the place, and clean handle bars with no wiring, switches, or buttons. But I agree, turn signals could be done cleanly, but it would be a big project, and right now I'm more interested in getting it on the road and riding it. Been working on that thing for a year, don't want to take it half apart to do a nice job of putting turn signals on it right now.

On a more upbeat note....been riding it, increasing the distances of my test rides...and WOW! That thing is a BEAST! What a blast to ride. Took about 40 miles to settle back into the foot clutch thing, but I'm pretty good now. Other than turning back my timing some more, doing a valve adjustment, and some minor carb work/tuning, the bugs have been few. After 100 miles nothing changed with the primary drive, all is good. (did open up/add washers to the chain oiler)

ken.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Tue May 13, 2014 7:00 pm

Here she is on the day she turned 227, last Sunday, and nothing has caught fire, fallen off, or spewed oil. !!!!
Attachments
DSC01512.JPG
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed May 14, 2014 7:35 am

I still say what a sweet ride !!!!
<<

knucklebolt

Post Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:22 pm

Just hit 1011.6 miles and she's running sweeter than ever, and I can even trust it to idle. Got real brave an even rode it into Spokane and gave her a small taste of city traffic, but after a few blocks of that I said to myself: "I think the open road is much more fun". So I turned left, and left again, hopped on the freeway and got the hell out of Dodge. But...she behaved quite well and I think she's ready to take me anywhere I want to go.

k.
<<

woody

Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:30 pm

Good to hear, Ken. I haven't done as well on the mileage. I only have about 450 but mine is running very well also. I took it down the highway Sunday and ran it up to 65 and it really seemed to like it. Anything under 55 or 60 and I have to put in 4th as she starts to lug a bit in 5th. I have it in for an oil change right now and when I get that done I will check the valves and give it a good once over and weather permitting will ride her on the Oyster Run in 2 weeks.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:14 pm

Seems like it was around 600+ miles when my engine really started to "sweeten up", took very few miles for the rings to seat in, but I had run the engine quite a bit before we hit the road. Wow...lugs a bit under 55-60mph...!! That's wild. With my gearing (25 tooth engine sprocket, 24 tooth tranny) I can do 45 in fourth okay, and her sweet spot on the highway seems to be 65, and 60 is almost loafing. I've had it up to 75mph a few times, but really I don't enjoy the wind over 65mph, so I'm pretty happy with her manners. With my old sleeved cylinders I don't have any desire to see how fast she'll go on the top end. !!!

Good luck (not that you need it) on the Oyster run, every time there's a ride or run I'd like to go on, seems like there's something else I have to do. So the Little Mistress hasn't got to socialize much with other motorcycles. !

k.
<<

woody

Post Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:54 pm

60 miles on Saturday for a test run and 170 yesterday on the Oyster run. Purred like a kitten. The only other old iron we saw was the shovel I was riding with, another shovel and a pan. We did not go into the zoo of Anacortes though. We rode the original Oyster run route.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:38 pm

Right on, I'd say 170 miles shows you got the kinks out of her. I bet she did purrrrrrr like a kitten. The exhaust note from my engine certainly is nice. I'd like to see a pic of her rolling down the road. Next weekend is supposed to be nice around here, I'll see if there are any good rides around town. Almost October, good riding weather might be going away soon on this side of the mountains. I remember when shovels were the "newer" bikes, and were usually in the more expensive builds....it was almost ALL pans and knucks for us knuckle dragging garage (and kitchen or spare room) mechanics when I started riding Harleys, lots of Pans. But I never really did see a lot of Big Twin Flatheads, even back in the day.

k.
Previous

Return to Big Twin Flatties