woody

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:25 am

Re: Project Knucklebolt hits the road

Anti social tendencies?
<<

knucklebolt

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:46 pm

More like anti-stupidity tendencies. I can't quite see, understand, or accept turn signals on a 1937 flathead Harley Davidson as anything but stupid. And conscientious, state sanctioned stupidity at that.

Started putting them on after work today, and I have to admit, I spent more time laughing at the stupidity of it, than cussing it. !!!

k.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:37 pm

There she is, legal and ready to roll. Had as much trouble with the Dept. of Licensing as I did with LEO, but I finally got her done...although she's now a 2013 "homemade" vehicle. Yeah right.

Thank you all for listening, and all the technical advice. Now it's time for me to ride!

Knucklehead Ken.
Attachments
DSC01436.JPG
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:50 pm

Outstanding Bro !!! Just plain outstanding !!!
<<

woody

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:24 am

Looking good, Ken. Where's the turn signals? :)
<<

knucklebolt

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Hush! Be verwee verwee quiet. I think I got a bad batch of lock-tite.

k.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:07 pm

You know ???? A pair of bullet lights for turn signals on the back would look good IMO. I had lantern style ones on a bike in the 1970's that enhanced the appearance of a chopper of mine just to please the authorities.
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:52 am

Ha ha, I remember lantern style lights on choppers!
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:06 am

If you hadn't told them you had a replacement frame they wouldn't have known. When registering anything don't volenteer any information.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:05 pm

On the frame, I just wasn't confident that the guys doing inspections would not know a stock Harley frame from a Paughco. Just wasn't sure enough. If they caught me in a lie, then I was afraid that they would make it even more difficult, if not impossible, to license the bike. But I certainly could be wrong there...just had to go with my instincts.

If I had planned on turn signals to begin with, I could have found a way to minimize the wiring, and make it look okay. But adding them on as an after thought, after I had carefully planned my build, just resulted in too much visible wiring. One of my goals with this bike, which I achieved, was to keep it very clean...no wires running all over the place, and clean handle bars with no wiring, switches, or buttons. But I agree, turn signals could be done cleanly, but it would be a big project, and right now I'm more interested in getting it on the road and riding it. Been working on that thing for a year, don't want to take it half apart to do a nice job of putting turn signals on it right now.

On a more upbeat note....been riding it, increasing the distances of my test rides...and WOW! That thing is a BEAST! What a blast to ride. Took about 40 miles to settle back into the foot clutch thing, but I'm pretty good now. Other than turning back my timing some more, doing a valve adjustment, and some minor carb work/tuning, the bugs have been few. After 100 miles nothing changed with the primary drive, all is good. (did open up/add washers to the chain oiler)

ken.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Tue May 13, 2014 7:00 pm

Here she is on the day she turned 227, last Sunday, and nothing has caught fire, fallen off, or spewed oil. !!!!
Attachments
DSC01512.JPG
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed May 14, 2014 7:35 am

I still say what a sweet ride !!!!
<<

knucklebolt

Post Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:22 pm

Just hit 1011.6 miles and she's running sweeter than ever, and I can even trust it to idle. Got real brave an even rode it into Spokane and gave her a small taste of city traffic, but after a few blocks of that I said to myself: "I think the open road is much more fun". So I turned left, and left again, hopped on the freeway and got the hell out of Dodge. But...she behaved quite well and I think she's ready to take me anywhere I want to go.

k.
<<

woody

Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:30 pm

Good to hear, Ken. I haven't done as well on the mileage. I only have about 450 but mine is running very well also. I took it down the highway Sunday and ran it up to 65 and it really seemed to like it. Anything under 55 or 60 and I have to put in 4th as she starts to lug a bit in 5th. I have it in for an oil change right now and when I get that done I will check the valves and give it a good once over and weather permitting will ride her on the Oyster Run in 2 weeks.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:14 pm

Seems like it was around 600+ miles when my engine really started to "sweeten up", took very few miles for the rings to seat in, but I had run the engine quite a bit before we hit the road. Wow...lugs a bit under 55-60mph...!! That's wild. With my gearing (25 tooth engine sprocket, 24 tooth tranny) I can do 45 in fourth okay, and her sweet spot on the highway seems to be 65, and 60 is almost loafing. I've had it up to 75mph a few times, but really I don't enjoy the wind over 65mph, so I'm pretty happy with her manners. With my old sleeved cylinders I don't have any desire to see how fast she'll go on the top end. !!!

Good luck (not that you need it) on the Oyster run, every time there's a ride or run I'd like to go on, seems like there's something else I have to do. So the Little Mistress hasn't got to socialize much with other motorcycles. !

k.
Previous

Return to Big Twin Flatties