FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tig welding in 45 frame

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Freeway_mad

Post Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:28 pm

Tig welding in 45 frame

Hallo,
I have a modified 45 with a triumph gearbox mounted! The chain is running very close to the frame, so i need to install a chain tentsioner that gives me a little more clearence! I have one avalieble, that comes with a weld on monting plate! But im not really familliar with welding in a brassed frame! Is it okey to weld on the lower tube of the backframe, or could this damage the brassed joint? I would be very thankful for advises and experiences!

Thanks in advance!
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:00 pm

Re: Tig welding in 45 frame

I'd suggest you start by looking at why you need a chain tensioner, 45s with British gearboxes don't usually require one. Sounds like one you need some combination if spacers and maybe re-truing the wheel to eliminate the problem at source.

Failing all else you can weld tabs on a 45 frame with no problems providing you are welding somewhere which isn't presently brazed and doesn't have brass already there. If it does, I can't help yiu with that.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Freeway_mad

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:23 am

It has to do with the sprocket sizes! I use the largest avaliieble in the front! Could use a larger in the back, but that would effekt my speed! So i dont want to go any larger than that! The chain is free from the frame, but in speed when the chain starts to go a little up and down it hits the frame!

But on the welding, as long as its not in an aktual brassed joint im okey? Can i sand or file the brass of, if it would be any excess where i want to weld (7-8 inches away from the joint)? And it would be okey to weld there?
<<

knucklebolt

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:25 am

Are you taking into consideration exactly what effect the sprockets have on RPM at any given speed?

A large sprocket on the rear wheel will slow you down, big motor sprocket will give you a higher speed, as will the/a bigger trans sprocket.

If you want to maintain you gearing as it is now, you can use a smaller rear wheel sprocket, which will gear you "up", and then use a smaller motor sprocket which will gear you "down". All the sprockets effect you speed, or RPM at any given MPH.

If your frame is rigid, which I'm assuming it is, you can run your rear chain a little tighter than you would on a bike with rear suspension.

ken.
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:44 pm

Freeway_mad wrote:Hallo,
I have a modified 45 with a triumph gearbox mounted! The chain is running very close to the frame, so i need to install a chain tentsioner that gives me a little more clearence! I have one avalieble, that comes with a weld on monting plate! But im not really familliar with welding in a brassed frame! Is it okey to weld on the lower tube of the backframe, or could this damage the brassed joint? I would be very thankful for advises and experiences!

Thanks in advance!

As long as you are at least an inch from the spelter joints to be sure you don't get any brass alloyed in your weld it should be fine if it's less than 3" I usually wrap a wet rag around the joint to keep the spelter cool If an area has ever had brass whether you grind it off or not the weld will be an alloy that cracks easily and end to end without warning.
Dusty
<<

45Brit

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:44 am

you don't say what back wheel you are using, so I'm assuming it's a 45 one reversed?

Is your gearbox correctly positioned, so the engine, gearbox and rear wheel sprockets are in a straight line?

what engine sprocket are you using? There is an issue here, in that the original HD clutch is significantly larger than any British one, which typically have 43 tooth chainwheels or something very like it.

assuming you have a stock 45 engine and a bike in something like stock trim, I suggest you look at your overall gear ratio to give a top speed of say 75mph and see how that compares with your current overall gearing.
<<

Freeway_mad

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:16 am

Okey, thank you very mutch for the welding tips! Im very thankful!
As on the bike, the wheels, gearbox etc is in a straight line! Rear wheel hub reversed with a 15" rim on it!
Engine is a stroker with large valves, hot cams, dual carburators in induvidual runners and magneto ignition, 35hk on the back wheel! Home made clutch and belt drive made from a mix of triumph and harley parts! Bike runs strong! And is allready a litle low geared in my view, so i want to be able to run it as it is, or gearing it up! This leaves me with the tensioner as my best option! Chain is a cm from the frame right now, but as you might now, now and then the chain moves upp and down becouse of the engine! This is my problem.. Have rode it many miles like this, but can se that it hits now and then! Dont want to damage the frame on it!
<<

45Brit

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:40 am

Sounds like the 15" wheel is part of your problem. I've always felt that the best size for rigid HDs is 18" or 19". That would give a higher overall gear ratio, more ground clearance and probably, better handling. Leaving aside the whole "rad, kewl" thing, I don't know any reason for going down on rim sizes on any rigid HD.

When I did the frame on my 45 project last year, the rear frame needed significant repair from having been hacked about for a chopper in the past. I took the opportunity to add rear braces to it copied from the WR ones; if you have a stroked motor and you are concerned about frame flex, you might like to look at that while you have the welder out.

45 frames sometimes crack immediately above the forging, at the base if the seat post. Mine has a repair there; what about yours?
<<

Freeway_mad

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:20 am

Yes, thats probebly the main reason! But im not going to change that! I have the fender and seat etc build after that, so changing that means a lot of work... Im going to run with a chain tensioner! With that il have more room to play around with different sprockets in the future!

Havent really had any problems with the frame actually! Seems to hold together quite good, so im going to keep it as it is for now!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:25 am

Have you considered fabricating an adjustable chain tensioner mounting bracket which fastens to the frame using U-bolts on both ends ? Design of the mounting bracket would need to be rigid and non moveable after making tension adjustment.
<<

fhsmith1

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:09 pm

"Engine is a stroker with large valves, hot cams, dual carburators in induvidual runners and magneto ignition, 35hk on the back wheel! Home made clutch and belt drive made from a mix of triumph and harley parts!"

Sounds interesting. Any pics?
F
<<

Tim 435

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:59 pm

Pic's would be cool and I'd like to hear more about the dual carb setup... Tim
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335
<<

Freeway_mad

Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:02 am

I have thought about that too, but it is so little room ther to make a good attatchment?!
I tried upploading a picture, but it dident work?! Sems like the pictures are to big... How do you do it on this site?
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:30 am

Freeway_mad wrote:I have thought about that too, but it is so little room ther to make a good attatchment?!
I tried upploading a picture, but it dident work?! Sems like the pictures are to big... How do you do it on this site?

Try uploading the picture again. The forum software had glitches and has since been repaired. If your file is to large, resize it. If you cannot resize your picture, try an external source such as Imageshack or Photobucket to store your pictures and use their URL or IMG links to copy and paste your pictures here.
<<

Freeway_mad

Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:47 am

Here she is!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Freeway_mad

Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:48 am

One more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

fhsmith1

Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Thanks for the pics. Beautiful job.
F
<<

enigmas

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:38 am

The theme and look of your bike reminds me of Indian Larry's bikes...right down to the tooled leather seat. The twin carb setup looks real cool too. I have a similar setup and needed to fabricate an air cleaner arrangement that would clear my left knee. How's the clearance with your setup.
I've welded my frame with a MIG successfully where required with absolutely no issues. Just don't weld up against any brazed joints.
<<

Freeway_mad

Post Mon May 12, 2014 12:15 am

Sorry for late answer! No problem with the carbs really, just have my foot pointing out when not breaking! Works great! :) Thanks for your input on the welding!

Return to 45 Flatties