FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

If it ain't broke...

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Kev UK

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:20 pm

If it ain't broke...

.... you know the rest.

My WLC has run sweet and trouble-free for many a mile. Recently I broke the kickstart return spring; then having fitted a POS aftermarket one which didn't work properly (I've seen better springs in Chinese wristwatches) the kickstart lever itself broke at the pinch bolt.

So I obtained an OEM lever and an OEM spring second-hand, went to fit them and couldn't get the kickstart to work properly, kept slipping.

Stripdown revealed this;

Now they sure as hell aren't the correct tripper bolts, they just look like countersunk set-screws. You can see where the top one has been rubbing on the countershaft but the bottom one seems unmarked.

There's no debris of any description in the bottom of the gearbox and the oil (what was left of it) was pretty clean too. I haven't touched that box since I bought the bike six years ago and as I say it's been pretty much faultless.

So how the hell did it work okay for so long? And why is nothing easy? :|
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

79FLH

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:20 pm

Re: If it ain't broke...

Loosen the tripper bolts up and rotate them 90 to 180 degrees. The tapers on the backside of the tripper bolt heads become flat after many years of usage. You need to find a good spot on the tapers that still exist or replace the tripper bolts. Those tapers are the key to good ratcheting kick starting and return countershaft placement after kicking through. Flat spots on those tapered heads ruin operation. Hopefully, this is the solution. If not, Inspect the bushing flange for excessive wear, the starter gear for excessive wear on the teeth. and the countershaft cluster gear for excessive wear on the teeth. Also make sure the countershaft spring that installs into the actual countershaft is not weak. Kick start 45 require both springs be usable, the larger starter gear spring and the countershaft spring. All that I have mentioned must be checked.
<<

Kev UK

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:48 am

Thanks Pa, I read up on all that; my question though is, are these bolts the correct ones and if so are they the right way round?

I cannot find a definitive picture anywhere (I did look on your own excellent "tranny rebuild" thread but many pics are no longer viewable) and the official manual simply states the same info as you have offered.

I would have thought that the "nut" would be on the inside of the box, hence the reason for its rounded profile with the slotted screw-head to tighten it.

42(?)WLC

79FLH

<<

Kev UK

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:51 am

Update; just spoke to Dodgyloner and he assures me that looks right.

My first time inside a 45 gearbox! :oops:

42(?)WLC

79FLH

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:12 pm

The top screw is not set well because the screwdriver slot should not be in the way of picking up the starter clutch gear tangs. It is best to have the solid wall of the screw taper facing the starter clutch gear tangs.
<<

Kev UK

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:00 pm

Thanks for that Pa. They don't actually look too badly worn but I'll move 'em round just in case.

42(?)WLC

79FLH

Return to 45 Flatties