FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

45" parts, and hello!.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Bison

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:39 am

45" parts, and hello!.

Hello Folks,
I'm a newbie to the forum but not to 45"s so thought I would say hello and ask a question or two.
I'm living in Scotland between Edinburgh and Glasgow and have owned my 45" for almost 30 years, although she's been hiding at the back of the garage for the last 10, awaiting an engine rebuild and some cosmetic titillation.
My first question is primarily for the European members. When I was using my Harley as my only form of transport many years ago I used to obtain parts from Tony Bairstow in London, also known as L.A. Transport, and Ian Cottrill on the south coast of England. Does anyone know if these guys are still on the go?, if so does anyone have contact details?.
I stripped the engine last night and it needs a bottom end rebuild by the looks of it, so I'll have to find some oversize rollers for the big ends and perhaps the main bearings. I'll probably have it rebored and fit new pistons, +.030", it's +.020" at the moment.
Hoping I might recognise some names from the past as I used to be a (long distance) member of the 45" club which was based in London a while back. Still got my T Shirt guys!
Many thanks in advance,
Alan
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:57 am

Re: 45" parts, and hello!.

Welcome aboard Alan. I can't help you out as far as Brit suppliers go but we do have many British members here on board who will probably chime in once they view your topic. 45 parts are readily available in Europe from many sources such as J.W. Boon and Larry Elias, just to name a few. How about a photo of that bike and T shirt ? Pa
<<

Bison

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:40 am

Hi Pa,
Thanks for the reply. I looked up the J W Boone site, but had forgotten about Larry Ellias, got parts from him in the past, thanks for the reminder.
Hopefully there will be a photograph of the old girl on here, if not I'll try again, she's a bit rough around the edges but that doesn't matter to me. The engine is now out on the bench and stripped, the bottom end needs attention as I thought, big ends mostly, everything else looks great, might rebore when it's down.
Will look out the T Shirt.
Alan.
PS,photo file was too big, will get to it.
<<

rocket ron

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi Alan. If you contact Alex at Grizzlys Customs on 01303240440, he can help you out. They deal with all the major European and American suppliers of 45 parts.
Tony doesn't deal in parts like he used to do and I believe Ian only sells Militaria on Ebay now.
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:25 am

I've just had some good service from 45 Flathead Service in Holland
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:26 am

Bison wrote:PS,photo file was too big, will get to it.

put t on photobucket or flickr and post the link
<<

Bison

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:57 pm

Folks,
Hopefully this link will work?

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/bison5 ... t=3&page=1

The front mudguard as you can see is a terrible mess, I would leave it but I think it wouldn't pass an MOT, not that is has to be MOT'd but I think the Polis might have something to say about it if (when) I get stopped. The cosmetics are the problem, I really like the way it is, I can stop the rot by touching in etc, but the mudguard poses a real problem, the rust will have to be cut out and repaired then repainted.

OK, another question please. My handlebars are I think original WLC, but my seat T is set back making it a bit of a stretch to the bars, I'm going to replace the handlebars but can anyone recommend which bars have more pullback?, Hollywood type?, or just wide bars?
Alan.
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Nice bike... Is it an older restoration? One of Fred's?

Like the Morini, I had one of those in the mid-90s and it was lots of fun

If you need more pullback on a WL then you must be even shorter than me :D

If the seat is set back, why not get a shorter T-bar, or just cut and weld the existing one so the seat is in the right place?
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Procedure fir fixing rust on front mudguard is as follows

1) remove existing unit

2) inspect rust

3) find secure spot for mudguard on workbench

4) source repop unit from eBay or Netherlands

5) spray in primer, fit to bike

6) hang original one in rafters, full off good intentions

7) repeat as necessary

That's what I usually do, anyway.
<<

Bison

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:57 am

I restored the old lady around 30 years ago, she's done well, she was my only transport for a long while, and using her in the snow and ice we get up here has taken it's toll, they salt the roads here!. That's why I was hoping to keep as much of the paint as possible, I know every scratch and dent and when and where she got them, the old paint, what's left of it, has a lovely lustre, but I think your recommendations for a new repro fender might be the way to go, the WLC ones are around £100, bargain!. I'm 5, 10", just feel i'm hunched over a bit when riding, I still have the WLC "T", makes me feel like I'm sitting on the bike rather than in it.
The gold wheels were rather spiffy 30 years ago, but tastes change, think I'll have them powder coated black.

Morini's?, you either get them or you don't, personally I absolutely love them!.
Alan.
<<

45Brit

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:49 am

I'm not quite sure what you are saying about the riding position? Personally I find 45s very comfortable, and I'm 5'8"

Look around and you will see that the seat t-bars and spring posts vary, some have the seat with the nose right over the hinge, some are further back with a section of t-bar visible in front of the seat, some are high up and some droop down so the rear of the seat is below the nose.

Changing the bars on a 45 is a lot of work and cost. I'll suggest that you look at your t-bar, see if the seat will move forwards or failing that, buy one of those flat-stock, re-pop t-bars ( or just make one, if you can weld ) and re-drill the mounting holes to suit.

If I was going to go to the trouble and cost of changing the bars, I'd go for a new top clamp with ears, dog-bone risers, and those Flanders bars the '40s dirt-track racers use. They look pretty spiffy, are a comfy shape and with two joints at the risers you can vary the position quite a lot. You get to keep all the internal controls, too. I think WW Cycle in Germany list them?
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:21 am

Mighty nice looking bike. No doubt you will need to do something with the front mudguard since the major support area is where the worse corrosion is. I would think you could find a good oem one in your neck of the woods.
<<

45Brit

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:54 am

Sorry Pa, but the days of good OEM parts this side of the Atlantic are long gone, and even stuff requiring serious work is making ridiculous money.

45s were common on the chopper scene in the 70s and early 80s, and tanks, seats and mudguards were scrapped by the skip-load. That project bike of mine has required significant work on the rear section and I didn't even bother to look for decent OEM tin-ware
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:56 pm

I can really relate to the rear mudguard issue with beat up oem ones. I had to cut up three destroyed by years in order to make one good one for my wla. It turned out rather well though in the end. I am repairing a front presently.
<<

45Brit

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Bison wrote:Folks,
Hopefully this link will work?

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/bison5 ... t=3&page=1

The front mudguard as you can see is a terrible mess, I would leave it but I think it wouldn't pass an MOT, not that is has to be MOT'd but I think the Polis might have something to say about it if (when) I get stopped. The cosmetics are the problem, I really like the way it is, I can stop the rot by touching in etc, but the mudguard poses a real problem, the rust will have to be cut out and repaired then repainted.

OK, another question please. My handlebars are I think original WLC, but my seat T is set back making it a bit of a stretch to the bars, I'm going to replace the handlebars but can anyone recommend which bars have more pullback?, Hollywood type?, or just wide bars?
Alan.

You have a PM
<<

Kev UK

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Hello Alan and a belated welcome from another Brit; in south west Wales.

There are loads of suppliers in Holland, here's a couple that I use;

http://www.45parts.eu/45parts/index.php?action=home&lang=EN

http://webshop.45flatheadservice.com/epages/63114975.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=19395322

Also google J W Boon or Clements Trading.

There's a sizeable clutch of 45 riders in my club, you can find us here; http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/ have a look in the Vintage & Classic section.

Regarding the T-bar; there are two lengths available, the longer one tends to be the more popular. I find with the short T that I am sitting too far forward, current one on my WLC is a home-made (not by me) copy of the long one which suits me fine; I've done 300 miles in a day before now with no discomfort at all.

Like the look of your bike, here's mine;

As you can see I'm not a great fan of shiny stuff myself. :D

BTW I'm up your way in a couple of weeks (son lives in Hamilton) so if you see this in time maybe we could meet up for a pint and a chat?
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!
<<

Bison

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:55 pm

Hi Kev,
Hamilton is only about 25 miles from me, PM me and either come over to inspect my 45, most of which is laying on the garage floor now, or meet up for a beer.
Alan.
<<

45Brit

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:05 pm

My project bike has a home-made t-bar copied from a Shovelhead unit. Seems to be about right, although it probably needs higher, wider bars to suit the buddy seat
<<

Slimlavud

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:09 am

Hi Bison
I am based in London with a 45/BSA chopper, and have 45flatheadservice.com bookmarked as the cheapest and best parts supplier in Europe. I also buy from ebay, from UK, Europe and the US, as I have a mate who is out in Oklahoma half the year so he picks up stuff and saves on postage and customs etc.
You can try Jeff at Riverside Harley in London, he is not the cheapest, or most friendly bloke but has a lot of 45 parts, new and used.
Only bits I have are a knackered front sprocket... my chop is very reliable, mildly tuned etc. and is on a home-made belt drive set-up, highly recommended. Cheers, Slim.
<<

Bison

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi Slim,
Yep, that's who I've been using for parts, very efficient and not bad price wise either. My rebuild has stalled for a few weeks as I'm right in the middle of selling a house, but after that it's back to the grind stone!.
Tell me more about the home made belt drive, do you mean primary or secondary?
Thanks for the input.
Alan.
Next

Return to 45 Flatties