Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Cotten

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:08 pm

Where did everybody go?

Folks,

Does anyone else suspect,
that this forum's sudden loss of activity over the last year or so,
might be related to "updates" of the format?

Webmaster?

....Cotten
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:23 am

Re: Where did everybody go?

It's either that or the present moderator.
<<

Cotten

Post Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:26 am

Gosh Pa!

I can think of some real hormonal so-called "moderators" on the "lifestyler" forums, but certainly not this one.

My Opera PC barely will work with the format, with a two-second delay with every keystroke.
My wife's modern PC cannot open the site at all because of a bad "security certificate".

And even my IE PC that can navigate the forum has no workable search function, and as you know, it will not upload a photo like it used to.

Somebody screwed up the code.

....Cotten
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:25 pm

I contacted the webmaster a few weeks ago and have heard nothing back as of yet. Usually the webmaster is quick to respond. I will try and telephone him Monday.
<<

Lee W

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 pm

I hate to admit it, but I noticed the drop off shortly after a certain someone was banned from the site. You know... the guy who was never wrong about anything and took the slightest hint of less than complete adoration of his pronouncements as a personal insult ...followed by self deletion of all his recent posts. Yeah, that guy. If his departure did lead to a fall off of board activity, as it seems to me, then I can only guess that many have gone elsewhere for their regularly scheduled soap opera fix.

He was a really smart guy and I kind of miss him; but of course in my own case I would prefer to call it entertainment appreciation than to admit that I too was susceptible to the soap opera aspect of it all. :D
<<

fhsmith1

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Lee W
If that's the case, let it be!!. This forum needs to be about the bikes we love and leave the soap opera stuff for other forums.
F
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Gosh Folks,

I am certain that this fellow now contributes upon another lively non-lifestyler focused forum with only a few irritations (the adminstrators had to close the delete window to a crack).
His attitude is still his signature, but it is tolerated well.

Although the lifestyler sites seem to thrive on fashion, drama, and belligerence, it hardly seems likely to cause an exodus of folks just because we have no curmudgeons.
(Well, maybe two or three,... .. . )

Nobody disappeared when the Plumber did.
And he was uh,... amusing in a tragic way.
(Although barred from more forums than even I! I would hold the record if I hadn't left so many in disgust.)

I still think its a code problem
I'm still here because I don't have a smart phone.
(....not even a cell,... ever!)

I am surprised our Host still puts the forum up.
They certainly cannot be profiting.

....Cotten
<<

LarryP

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:15 pm

Lee W wrote:I hate to admit it, but I noticed the drop off shortly after a certain someone was banned from the site. You know... the guy who was never wrong about anything and took the slightest hint of less than complete adoration of his pronouncements as a personal insult ...followed by self deletion of all his recent posts. Yeah, that guy. If his departure did lead to a fall off of board activity, as it seems to me, then I can only guess that many have gone elsewhere for their regularly scheduled soap opera fix.

He was a really smart guy and I kind of miss him; but of course in my own case I would prefer to call it entertainment appreciation than to admit that I too was susceptible to the soap opera aspect of it all. :D

I noticed the same.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:51 pm

S&S continues the forum because of respect for the membership. On day one of acquiring the forum, S&S told me personally they would keep the forum up, knowing full well the forum took revenue away from S&S sales profits. The folks at S&S are sound honest Bros like the majority of you are. I do not know why the forum software seems to be in neglect at this time and I also do not know why my attempts of contacting them of the forum issues have been unanswered. I do know this however.... Something else, which must be more priority at the moment, must be why the forum has been neglected. I will try again to resolve the forum issues. As for forum traffic, forum traffic is dictated by you the membership. One only has to take a look at the membership numbers. I know for a fact there are no spam members in our roster. The membership numbers are legit. I screen membership and ban I ban any non legitimate registrations for membership. My screening process is extensive. I search email addresses, I.P. addresses, usernames, etc.. I've not permitted one spammer to become a member yet. "KNOCK ON WOOD". A few other forums may have what looks to be a higher number of members but if one looks through those forum membership data bases, one finds hundreds of illegitimate members listed. Plumber and Panic deserved to be banned. Their disrespect for the forum membership, and me, was tolerated way beyond the call of duty. Personally I am a three strikes and you are out dude. Plumber and Panic struck out all nine innings. Both received repeated requests to stop the bull shit out. Both then received repeated warnings. Both ignored all the attempts made to keep them here. Maybe S&S would take better care of the forum software if the traffic was better ? That is just my take on it. If it were your forum ???? Would you take better care of it with so little traffic ? Ya know....I've been moderating this forum for many many years now and I was a member since 2000. For years this was the top forum on the web for motorcycle related issues. It was.....because of the membership. Respectfully, Pa
<<

Lee W

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:20 am

Pa, I hope you did not get the idea that I was whining or complaining. I was not. I was simply making an observation. BTW, I completely agree with all of what you say in your most recent comment. Those who were banned certainly earned it. I also share your admiration for the S&S organization.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:22 am

Lee W wrote:Pa, I hope you did not get the idea that I was whining or complaining. I was not. I was simply making an observation. BTW, I completely agree with all of what you say in your most recent comment. Those who were banned certainly earned it. I also share your admiration for the S&S organization.

Not at all Bro. I just vented the truth and the facts. I remember when I would login and the forum was bustling with live topics. I miss those days.
<<

47knuck

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:58 pm

Maybe like me the problem has to do with life pressures and a s$&%$$y economy. My bikes are on hold due to dollar issues not because I don't want to work on them. Things change and yes I too miss some of the more colorful posters. But I don't miss the redirecting of honest questions. I visit and read put with not much to add I stay kinda quiet.
Steve H
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:03 pm

All photo options for uploading photos are working properly now. :D
<<

Cotten

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:04 pm

...Just testing...
ajean.jpg

There is still a two second delay with every keystroke.
(Opera browser))

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GuS

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:15 pm

Cotten
Nice Pan
GuS
<<

Cotten

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:22 am

Not mine Gus!

But that's my wife long before I met her.

Neither of my '49s run.
Strangely, my WIN98 IE on my Gateway stuck in 'safe mode' types in fine with this site. But it still does nothing when I click on "upload attachment"!

....Cotten
<<

GuS

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:04 am

Cotten.
Time to change your computer. The upgrading and new versions are not as compatible one would think. It lasts for a version or two. 98 is some 10 versions back. It is not like your scoots, where a wrench, patience, love and care can keep them running.
I never spent much on a computer. When they are 3 years old companies change them. If you have friends etc working in engineering you might get a powerful one that has been used to run cad software.

Good luck.

GuS
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:42 am

The issue with pic posting is definitely early non compatible software issues clashing updated modern software Cotton. Operating systems of today cannot read the computer language of yesterday anymore. Very beautiful woman you chose Bro. She enhances that beautiful Panhead as well.
<<

Cotten

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:53 pm

Gus!

If I got a modern PC, then my expensive digital camera, nor my fantastic photoeditor, nor my shop publishing software for all of my labels, shop flatrate sheets, and stuff would work.

Newer software is all crap by comparison, and I don't need six more learning curves.

Nor do I want to pay an extra $80 to $120 a month for broadband, nor do I wish to deal with antivirus issues.
(They don't write malware for WIN98 any more!)

Add that to losing my email address that I have used for a decade and a half if I switch ISPs, and it just ain't worth it.

Pardon me for punishing an archaic piece of machinery down the information highway, long after its era;
Unacceptible concept, I know.

...Cotten
PS: Yes Pa, I am proud of her.
(Maybe not she of me!)
There's a '49 in pieces laying around the shop that would be even more impressive than that one, but nobody will pay me to put it together.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:14 am

I've hated the operating system changes forever. My xp is off line now because of Microsoft. It was crashing every other week due to the last Microsoft updates. I removed all of those updates, pulled it from the web, and she purrs like a kitten again. Like you Cotton, I am comfortable with the software in my xp that I am using for photo editing ect.. Windows Vista, 7, and 8 will not run my older software. It is now reported Windows 8 is going down the tubes. It is said Windows 8 will live a very short life. It is all about the money. Sell the software......burn you on it......then sell you more. When I first was introduced to the Windows operating systems, I first encountered Windows 95. It fell away quickly to Windows 98 and very soon afterwards to Windows 98 Upgrade. I was real comfortable with the Windows 98. Anyhow, All my earlier versions of Windows computers I purchased came with an operating systems cd. If a computer failed due to hardware issues and one needed to replace the complete computer, one could load the cd into the new computer and be on their way again. Computers today come with the operating system pre-installed. You receive no cd. Your only real backup is built into that pre-installed software. If you computer crashes or you have a major hardware failure, you are poop out of luck. If you purchase the high ticket priced software from Microsoft, You can only purchase a license for so many computers. Once the software is loaded into the computers you purchased the software for, you won't be able to load it into anymore computers. Microsoft made certain you could not. How ???? To activate your software, one must do so via Microsoft online. It is there Microsoft identifies the serial number of your computer. That serial number is not only on a tag on the cabinet, it is built into the pre-installed software.
Next

Return to Talk To Us