FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Indian 741 carb and power problems

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

jn1972

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:39 pm

Indian 741 carb and power problems

I bought an indian 741about 6 months ago and have been having a problems getting it to run correctly,the bike has no power and blows a mist of fuel out thru the air cleaner when you rev it up.we have checked and done the following. Change intake gasgets to new peek seals,adjusted valves,checked compression 55psi in each cylinder,cleaned carb changed float to rubber float and adjusted level,changed carb with another 741 that my son owns does not blow fuel out on his bike but does on mine,put air pressure thru spark plug to 20 psi we did not hear any air leaking out the carb,checked cam chest all gears line up correctly and followers do not seem to be worn. We are stuck as to where to go next any ideas. Thanks jerry
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:59 pm

Re: Indian 741 carb and power problems

Not being an Indian engine expert, I would think your issue may be with the timer or components there of. Just a thought.
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:47 pm

Sounds like the timing is over-advanced.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

jn1972

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:53 pm

If the timing was off buy one tooth would it still run? Thanks
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:57 am

Yes. It would still run.
<<

Cotten

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:58 pm

Jerry!

Linkerts are enormously forgiving, but manifolds are not.
Throwing PEEK seals at them is not always a cure-all, as even properly custom-fitted ones do not address leaks between the nipple inserts and the cylinder casting.

Please test your manifold for certainty: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html.

It may save you a tail-chase.

....Cotten
<<

jn1972

Post Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:45 am

Thanks for the advice cotton,I did test the manifold after I installed the peek seals. Today I retested them there were no leaks at the manifold nuts but I did have trouble sealing the plate I made to the manifold face,I tried 2gasgets,and making another plate out of heavy plastic,finally I made a new gasget out of Teflon rope and it sealed and help 15 psi for 30 minutes.i checked the manifold face and ran it over a stone it seems flat have you ever had trouble sealing the linkert to the face of the manifold with the stock gasget? Maybe that's where my problem is? Thanks for everyone's help for a simple motor it sure has me stumped. Jerry
<<

Cotten

Post Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:42 pm

Jerry!

I don't worry about leaks around a testplate, as the regulator should keep the pressure stable where you set it, all day long.
And I never expect a manifold to hold pressure by itself, as some leakage past the intake valves is natural.
In fact, if one does hold pressure like a balloon, I would scratch my chin wondering if the gauge is stuck.

Did you grind the carb flange flat as well as the manifold's?

....Cotten
<<

jn1972

Post Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:31 pm

I will put the face of the linkert on a stone before I reinstall it,I would think that the stock gasget would make up for any slight imperfections in the face. I have tested the intake valves with air pressure top and bottom and also checked valve timing so can I rule out a valve problem? I will retime the ingition timing when I reinstall the oil pump. Every thing I check seems to be fine but I still can not figure out why it blows fuel back out thru the carb when you rev it up.the float setting is 1/4 inch by the book could that be too high?
<<

Cotten

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:49 am

Jerry!

It is always tempting to trust a gasket to solve a problem, but note that fat gaskets allow the distortion to occur in the first place.
Since this interface cannot be bubble-tested, we must start the machine and snoop with an un-lit propane torch, particularly on the side with the gallery plug.
It still would be hard to imagine it as a cause for raw fuel and reversion, unless the motor just won't run without drastically over-enriching to accomodate it.
Are your needles in the range of 1½ turns on the highspeed, and 3½+ turns on the low?

¼" is the proper setting for a proper float, and a ruler is accurate enough.
Beware of some molded 'rubber' (nitrophyl) floats, however, that weigh three times as much as they should, the same as a made-in-India brass. (Nearly identical USA Kokesh productions weighed even more.)
Other mass-produced black floats should work at the book setting, unless your fuel swells or softens them.

Is fuel dripping from the aircleaner?

Have you gone through the distributor and timing again?

....Cotten
<<

jn1972

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:55 pm

I think that my needles are near the correct setting,I have adjusted them many times to see if it would help the problem,my son had a spare rubber duck float so we installed it in the linkert. I removed the oil pump and distributed to check the cam case and when I reinstall them I will try timing the engine according to the book.i am running the bike on my stand with out the air cleaner at this point ,if you hold your hand near the carb when you rev it up it will get damp with fuel . While it is frustrating trying to figure out this problem,I an learning a lot about my first indian. Thanks for all the help jerry
<<

Lee W

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:30 pm

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in. If you have straight pipes, that could be a big contributor to the fuel standoff if you get a strong reversion wave during valve overlap. That should not account for a general lack of power except in a certain RPM range however.
<<

jn1972

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:07 am

I took the heads off my indian over the weekend ,and timed the bike ,also changed the points,and condenser,put it all back togther and was finally able to take it for a ride ,it now seems to have enough power and still spits a little mist of fuel out of the carb ,but maybe now i can fine tune the carb,thanks for all the help jerry

Return to Indians