FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

No retard on my mag?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Keith

Post Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:10 pm

No retard on my mag?

Hello ;
I have a Fairbanks mag fitted to a WLA motor. All parts standard, and it bolts together nice, so I prefer to have it fixed.
I have it timed so the small lobe is just starting to lift the points, when the timing mark is in the centre of the hole.
I was concerned about stating issues, as I don't want to adapt it to make it adjustable if I can get away with it.
Any-one have any experience with this, bruised shin, bent toes ect.
Thanks Keith
<<

ralph

Post Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: No retard on my mag?

Keith,
You don't need to worry retarding your timing, while starting a 45.
I don't know why Harley went to the trouble of adding that feature on a 45.
I have this set up on my WR, which has a good bit more compression than your WLA , and have no problems starting.
No bruised shin or bent toes to worry about.
Ralph
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:55 pm

When I had my first 45 and didn't know much about them,I went through the "retard twistgrip" drill ( being accustomed to British singles... ). After a couple of weeks I realised the screw was missing from the timer, the cable end was free and I wasn't doing anything at all.. :oops: I've never bothered with retardng 45s since, just encourages them to overheat in traffic
Last edited by 45Brit on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Keith

Post Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:00 am

Thanks for the advise. I've just bolted it up tight after setting the timing, and it went together real nice. :D
Just realised, with the mag positioned at about the 2 oclock, how am I gonna get at the front intake valve cover, when I need to do the 1000 mile tappet check. I might have to make up a special wrench.
Keith :?

Return to 45 Flatties