FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Oh I got troubles, kicker and puking oil.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

45Brit

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:07 am

Re: Oh I got troubles, kicker and puking oil.

knucklebolt wrote:Probably not a bad idea. That's why I didn't worry too much about the paint job this time around. After she proves herself, I'll tear it down some winter and do the paint up right.

k.

really? I've had bikes that I regarded as finished that didn't look that good...
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

knucklebolt

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:10 am

Paint looks good from a distance, or in a pic, but the paint is not so great when you are up close and personally looking at it. !! But no, I'm not worried about it. Frame came out good, and the oil tank, so really all I have to do is pull the tanks and fenders for a re-do.

thanks.

k.
<<

fhsmith1

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:39 pm

Pa
I've said it before, thanks for keeping this site about the bikes and not the crap. There's other forums for that.
F
<<

fhsmith1

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Knucklebolt
There are several threads on the oil getting in the case issue. Here's one. It's on a 45 but the pump is more or less the same.
F

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11793
<<

45Brit

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:36 pm

knucklebolt wrote:Paint looks good from a distance, or in a pic, but the paint is not so great when you are up close and personally looking at it. !! But no, I'm not worried about it. Frame came out good, and the oil tank, so really all I have to do is pull the tanks and fenders for a re-do.

thanks.

k.

That's pretty much where I am with the Ariel framed bike. The frame and fork was powder coated because it would be so much work to do it later, and the wheels are finished. Some stuff like the footboards are as-supplied finish. So there isn't a huge lot to do.

The bike with the Shovelhead forks is a different matter because the frame needed repair so it really needs to be stripped and painted or powder-coated. I'll probably do a complete strip-and-finish with that one because there is new metal, old metal, and everything in between. The wheels are going to be the problem because they are not great cosmetically but quite sound, so I will end up with wheels that don't match the overall standard of finish, so perhaps I'll just give it a lick of satin black fir now
<<

knucklebolt

Post Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks Smith, I'll check that out. Once I saw that my scavenger pump was working, I sure felt much better. I was having paranoid delusions of the keys being left off the shaft by whoever built the engine, and then if that was the case, it would have been "oh no what else is wrong??" But I will check out that thread as I'll want to try to stop all the oil going into the crank case, especially since I can't pull my drain plug at the moment.

I kind of lucked out, winding up with nice wheels. Had to get new spokes to get my hub to lace up to my rim, and as the old spokes were kind of ragged, cosmetically speaking, that worked out good. Then the front wheel I found, that finally fit my forks and fender, was a nice unit.

Yep, there's always satin black to the rescue!!

k.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:15 am

Okay...good thread. I do have to say that my knucklehead never wet-sumped. (and never had a kicker problem)

k.
<<

45Brit

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:41 am

I never had serious wet-sumping with either panhead, although all older bikes will do it to some extent. I've never had it with shovelheads, although you definitely need to spend the time getting all the joints air-tight... but 45s and U series, they will do it, the older style pump is more prone to it.

I've tried fitting taps in the line, also non-return valves in British bikes, but with the older HDs it's just a matter of getting the ball-bearing seats in perfect condition and kicking the bike over occasionally when it's been stood...
<<

CHP

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:36 am

Three ways oil can enter the engine while sitting. Check valve not sealing (bad seat or ball), particles in stuck in the seat and
worn # 1 cam bushing in the cam cover. Oil comes to that area before the the check valve.I have machined an o-ring groove
in the bushing in few some engines to make sure no oil passing that way.Some cast iron pumps have pitting (corrosion)@ seat
A radical way is to mount a ball valve on the feed line, but you have to remember to open it before starting up your scooter !!!!!
<<

knucklebolt

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:52 pm

If one had a valve in the feed line, that cut the ignition when it was closed...that might work. Although....one might kick the bike half to death before remembering the valve was shut, and wondering why it wouldn't start! :)

k.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:40 pm

Okay...the good news is:

I replaced the mainshaft kicker gear, and the kicker clutch thingie today. The old clutch was in not the best shape, and the teeth definitely mesh and seat together way better on the new set. Once I got the gear off the shaft, I see that the kicker gear-teeth are not in the best shape. Not trashed or really bad, but certainly rounded off a bit. The gear in the cover, on the kicker shaft, is in great shape.

One tooth on the clutch was rounded off, but I'm not sure that would cause any skipping, although I'm sure it did not help. The bushing was not loose in the gear like I thought, but it was WAY too loose on the shaft. I think there was enough wobble to allow the not so well meshed clutch and kicker gear to disengage.

I also got the impression that possibly, the bushing was a little too long, and not letting the clutch and gear completely seat/mesh. But that's just a theory. The new gear and clutch certainly mesh better, and you can see they seat together better/deeper.

I'm saving putting the kicker cover on for another day, as a couple of things on it need attention. I'm thinking that the distance the kicker shaft gear sits in, from the cover, is important. (??) Was fun working in the 28 degree garage today! After I get this thing kicking right, I can get back to wiring, and then actually trying to start it. I'll build a fire in the stove when I do that, and devote a whole day to the process.

k.
<<

45Brit

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:20 am

Sounds like a case of accumulated wear adding up to excessive totals
<<

PanPal

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:36 pm

I replaced the mainshaft kicker gear, and the kicker clutch thingie today. The old clutch was in not the best shape, and the teeth definitely mesh and seat together way better on the new set.

Where did you buy the new set from? To my knowledge only the Baker and OEM gear sets actually last.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:38 pm

I got them from J&P, V-Twin mfg I believe. Well, hopefully they will last a couple of years. !! She is kicking over now, and running. They seemed to be pretty good gears, and the bushing had the oil groove in it. Mainshaft kicker gear fit on the shaft perfectly.

Now that she's running, I can fire it up often enough that the crank case doesn't fill up again. Or at least that's the plan. I'm also going to make sure that the check ball springs are putting pressure on the balls....I wonder if, in some cases, those springs get short, or weak, and perhaps that sometimes causes wet-sumping. Or not.

k.
Previous

Return to Big Twin Flatties