FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

looking for Corbin LSR bike

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Scott

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:56 am

looking for Corbin LSR bike

Sorry - but this post is far from short.

A friend who works at the Springfield (Mass.) Museum of History is looking for this machine on behalf of behalf of the museum. It was electric-powered and in 1975 it reached 165.387 mph at at Bonneville.

There was a huge collection of Indian and other stuff at the former Indian Museum in Springfield, when it was owned by the Manthos family. The guy died and his wife kept the place open until she was in her 90s. She donated almost all of its contents to the City of Springfield, who has done a nice job of displaying it in their museum.

The Manthos Indian Museum also had a lot of Corbin stuff, as Corbin was located right over the nearby Connecticut border. There is Corbin stuff at the Springfield museum, including one electric motorcycle. People have said that the Corbin LSR bike was at the Manthos museum in the past (I never saw it, so it was more than 10 years ago). When the Manthos collection was donated to the City, the LSR bike wasn't there.

The City museum would love to display the Corbin LSR bike, or at least get more information on it. There is a lot of knowledge and experience here. Does anyone know anything about this bike or where it is?

Here's a link to the City's museum:

http://www.springfieldmuseums.org/th...n#.Uot3_eIjbjs

Thanks for any tips.

Scott
sjelescheff@gmail.com
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:28 am

Re: looking for Corbin LSR bike

This link says the bike was there. Note the date of the posting on the following page. Pa

http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/t ... otorcycle/
<<

Scott

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Re: looking for Corbin LSR bike

Thanks Pa, but that's not the bike I'm looking for. I've seen the one in your link at the museum, surrounded by other Corbin stuff. I'm looking for a land speed racer. A visitor told my friend at the museum that he used to work for Corbin back in the day and went on to describe the LSR bike. I hate to picture it sitting in pieces in the back of someone's garage - someone who has no idea of what they've got.

EDIT - I just took a second look at that link. The photo of the bike that Tom Corbin (Mike's son) is sitting on is most likely what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Return to Talk To Us