Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical Front wheel drive speedo cable route?

Front wheel drive speedo cable route?

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:17 pm

One thing which has emerged from my current project is that the frame has has the dash mounts and the sleeve fir the speedo cable removed and welded up.

As the bike has Shovelhead forks, the current plan is to use that and the front drive to run a small fork-mounted speedo.

However I'm open to suggestions as to how I could fit a dash at a later date? Speedo drive route seems to be the key issue.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Replace the neck with one that has the right mounting tabs and holes.

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:14 pm

If I'd noticed the amount of damage that had been done to the rear of the frame during its rebuild into a chopper sometime in the past, I would have passed on the entire project :? . I can't find anyone who sells a 45 neck forging and even if I could, I could probably by a repop frame for the same price and would have done so.

About the only good thing about this frame is the straight front section with original rake. The 1" neck conversion is a drop-in using one-off races and I kept it because I didn't have a 45 front end anyway, and could get a complete shovelhead front end for less than half the price of repop forks only.

Intall one of them bicycle digital speedos. I had one on for years. Need a sensor on the rim. Invisible cable. Various displays available.

I have found a variation of that - a sender unit which fits to the cable and has a wire to an electronic speedo. Drag Specialitues sells a repop electronic speedo ( and I'm sure others do, too ) so I can run the existing speedo cable to somewhere in tne vicinty, fit the sender and wire it to the speedo

Return to General Whatever-Technical