FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

adding a sidecar

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

servitrike

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:37 am

adding a sidecar

i'm working on adding a sidecar to my 48 chief. i didn't spring for an original. i picked up a "Hitch Hiker" sidecar. it was built in the 80's, i believe. cosmetically, i can dress it up to look appropriate for the lines of the chief. the hardest challenge i'm finding is converting from the funky little trailer wheel it came with, to a normal spoked wheel. the car has a 1" diameter spindle that is just long enuff for a trailer wheel hub(approx 6"). i'm looking for ideas as to what spoked wheel hub can bee made to fit. i had a plan to run Indian rollers and cages on it. i have a front wheel hub from a Honda 350 that would easily accept the Chief front wheel rollers. then i was reminded that this axle probly hasn't been hardened and the rollers will just eat it up. the Timken bearings that fit this axle have an O.D. of just about 2". so i need a hub that can be machined big enuff to allow that big a hole. any ideas?
<<

servitrike

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:53 pm

Re: adding a sidecar

or maybe this. . . does anybody have a foto of an actual Indian sidecar axle as it is mounted to the frame?
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:56 pm

If you can post some pics of what you now have, especially the sidecar. Pics looking at the existing axle from several views, including a vertical shot down from the side of the sidecar, I bet you would receive many suggestions and ideas.
<<

servitrike

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:08 pm

ok. but it's all in pieces rite now. also, i'm not sure how to post a pic on this site.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:37 am

When you reply to a post, the photo upload link is on that page.
<<

servitrike

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:13 am

thx PA. i found that link to add the pic.
still don't have pic yet.

may be changing the plan. went to a VERY large auto swap meet yesterday. found a guy selling wheel adapters. that may open the possibility of using something like a Model T wheel instead of cobbling together as i was thinking.

Return to Indians