FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

heli-coils

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

servitrike

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:55 pm

heli-coils

has anybody ever tried to use a helicoil in reverse? no, no, i don't mean thread it in backwards.
normal use would be to repair threads in a hole so a bolt can be screwed in, rite?
has anybody ever successfully tried to use one to repair the threads on a stud so the nut could be threaded on?

i managed to bugger up the threads on the clutch side of the front footboard mounting post.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:02 pm

Re: heli-coils

If you did not remove any thread material from the major diameter, you can run a die back over the threads to straighten them back out. I would not try what you are asking about because the helicoil thread is different than standard threads and you have no way of locking it onto the old threaded area. If a die does not produce enough good thread for a secure fasten, You can drill and tap the nut through its side on one of its flats and use a set screw to secure it to the threads. Or....just replace the whole rod.
<<

servitrike

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Re: heli-coils

that's kinda what i thought. i know the coils come with odd sized taps to fit the coils in their hole. i guessed my idea would need an odd sized die to attempt to work it the other way round. i've already ordered a replacement rod. i don't think the set screw idea would let me get it tite enuff for my taste. thanx for the input.

Return to 45 Flatties