FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

W&W Repro Big Twin Gas Tanks?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

MarkBranst

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:15 pm

W&W Repro Big Twin Gas Tanks?

Hey,

Does anyone have any direct experience with the repro 41-46 Knucklehead tanks that are sold by W&W out of Germany.

http://tinyurl.com/klkqoav

Are they accurate reproductions? Do they fit right? Are they high quality?

Given what originals are costing these days, you would think the market would be ready for a BEST quality repro set ... I know that there are some being offered on Ebay pretty regularly, but even the seller admits that they are not perfect.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks, Mark
<<

knucklebolt

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Re: W&W Repro Big Twin Gas Tanks?

The top view does not look real encouraging, nor does the advice that the customer should pressure test them...I would expect even low quality tanks to have been pressure tested before being shipped to a customer. ?? Almost sounds like they are saying that there's a 50/50 chance they are going to leak. And again, why in the world would the maker not pressure test a fuel or oil tank before selling it? Sounds fishy, but I may have totally missed the point!

k.
<<

45Brit

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:37 am

.....that was my reservation also. I was looking for a pair of repro tanks and for the price, I'd expect them to be confident of what they are selling. If I pay 650 Euro I expect to have them delivered straight to the painter and never even see them till they are ready to install.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

MarkBranst

Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks.

Yes, after I took a more careful look at the top view, the profiles from the top are certainly not correct. I think that these are the same ones that are being sold on Ebay, with some aftermarket modifications that attempt to correct the visual problems.

Given that "good" original tanks from the 1940s are regularly selling for nearly $2000 a pair, it would seem that there is a market out there for high end repros, even at $1000 a pair it would make sense.

Mark
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:24 pm

Talk about prices getting out of hand a friend just traded a set of pre '40 Knuck tanks for $5,000.00 off on the price of a Knuck he was buying. :(
<<

45Brit

Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Welcome to the neo-liberal world view. Unlimited price speculation combined with unrealistic advertising and perceived low cost driving out quality.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:08 pm

I don't know....When a 6 year old child can paint a soup can as good as Andy Warhol and Andy's version brings in millions, then.......yeah....what's up with value and pricing ????????
<<

45Brit

Post Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:45 pm

the point I was trying to make is that the neo-liberal business model is different. Low tender price drives out quality, and once the clients' options have been eliminated then there is no incentive to deliver on price or quality. Ideological obsessions prevent the client from actually developing the core competencies, and you arrive in the position of letting contracts without being able to assess either the contractor or the progress.

The huge IT subcontracts let by the UK government to overseas contractors are plagued with this. The immigration control system and ID card project is vastly over budget and may well never be brought on line, yet the US manages to work its own ESTA scheme with no such problems; I know, I've used it. The railways are a disaster.

This brings us back to tanks. The tanks I've seen for British bikes all seem to come from the same one or two Indian manufacturers. They are all of a similar standard. All cost about twice their advertised cost on ebay once shipping and import duties are paid. I've decided to spend the money on paying a fabricator I know well to produce some narrow tanks for me, based on a cut-down fat-bob tank; since I can live with minor discrepancies in the shape and get a second-hand fatbob or quickbob tank for $50 or less on ebay, that seems like value

I'd be most interested at this point, for some comment from someone who actually HAS a set of these tanks?

Return to Knuckles