FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Show us your 45

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Re: Show us your 45

Thanks for the ride offer Bro but my legs are not up to it just yet. By the time I complete my wla I'll be ready to swap rides with ya. I will make the races but I will miss the swapmeet. See ya there Bro's !
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:03 am

latest on this... 45 engine and transmission, shovelhead forks, 16" wheels

Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

knucklebolt

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:00 am

I can envision it...that's going to make a great bike.

k.
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:37 am

The rear fender won't be on the finished bike, it is too big a radius... Just a little flat one like a WR. The square steel box in the left foreground is going to be the battery box, it's a WW2 era field telephone battery case that I've had knocking about my workshop fir decades. It's just the right size and will slot straight in.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:33 pm

I like the beefy appearance it has with the 16's.
<<

45Brit

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Last edited by 45Brit on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:59 pm

Ah the time spent in getting it right. But getting it right is the goal.
<<

45Brit

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:04 pm

It isn't obvious from tne photos posted but the rear frame has been much cut about in a past life as a chopper, although the neck us uncut. Quite a lot if work has gone into making that good and strengthening it. I Have kept the 1" neck conversion, as it is a nice job, hence the Shovelhead forks. The rear wheel was 16" already so I kept that and matched it to the Shovelhead one that came with the forks. Banana caliper from the same source; I like a decent front brake and a banana caliper is plenty for a 45, after all.

Toolbox will be a knucklehead one originally intended for the Ariel framed bike. Back stand because I like them. Stock exhaust because it came with the parts pile for the bike, along with all the chrome repop foot boards etc. Tanks are OEM but I think they have been rebuilt, sometime in the past. However past frame mods have resulted in the dash mounts being lost, including the speedo cable sleeve being cut back and welded up so I aim to cover the space and fit a small speedo driven off the original Shovelhead frint wheel drive, wherever it will fit.

Buddy seat because I scored it for £50 on eBay and like them. WR solo seat if I feel like it because the other bike has one.

I wouldn't say "getting it right", it is more a case of the bike growing organically from the parts that came with it!
<<

pelee islander

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:52 pm

Project is just beginning. Lots to do. Just need to get home so I can make some headway.

Brit gear box, foot clutch, hand shift, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

45Brit

Post Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:18 am

Digressing slightly, but the rocker/suicide clutch question is to some extent related to differing styles of riding across the Atlantic. British traffic lights have quite a long "amber" and almost never go straight to green, so sitting at the lights in gear with the clutch in is not favoured - indeed you will be marked down for it in a driving test because it is regarded as dangerous.

We drive on the left, so your clutch foot is on the near side, down-camber side of the bike, which is the side you may well wish to out down

Another thing is that speedway, although very popular at times, is not really regarded as a "motorcycle sport" and very little reported in the bike press. Brake less bikes are regarded as an aberration, not a mainstream trend - remember that none of the main factories made a speedway machine after about 1932.
Previous

Return to 45 Flatties