FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Plugged seat post..

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

45Brit

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:19 am

Plugged seat post..

We find that this 45 has had a plug welded in the bottom of the post tube and can we shift it? NOOOO......

why would anyone DO that? Still, with a 45 on Shovelhead forks and 5.00 x 16" tyres she will be a soft old thing, especially with the buddy seat I just picked up in eBay ( I like buddy seats.... )so I reckon to cut the pogo stick so there us about 2-3" of travel and the springs sit on top of the plug, real garden-shed engineering.

If it bottoms I will find some helper springs.... or put an external spring over the post....
Last edited by 45Brit on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Re: Stupid is.... Plugged seat post..

Bro...... !!!! Before you make any changes, post some pics of this delema !! Maybe some of us can help you out in solving this problem before you make a final decision.
<<

45Brit

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:20 pm

The problem us simple, some past owner has welded a bush into the bottom of the seat post tube so the pogo stick doesn't drop fully home. From what I can see there are two main options;

1) cut the bottom 4" or so off of the threaded rod and spring assembly, so that the end of the spring sits on top of the bush. Quick to do, shortens the spring travel though

2) fit one of those mini shocks under the t-bar, with one end fitted into the top of the seat post tube.

Both seem fairly straightforward, and with 5" tyres , glide forks and modern roads I don't see the ride quality as a problem. The "tractor saddle" riding position is retained and I don't really see any problems.

I was just curious why anyone should have made this inaccessible modification to the frame in the first place? I see no value in it at all, either technical or fir appearance. I've seen the TOP of the tube welded over for appearance sake before, but who looks underneath the bike?
<<

RUBONE

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:30 pm

Is there any evidence that the seat post was broken and the sleeve was part of the repair? That is a common scenario.
<<

45Brit

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:31 pm

there's no obvious indication of that but a repair to the tube immediately above the casting would explain a lot.

The frame has certainly had some work in the past, the tank mounts and t-bar mount aren't original.
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:32 am

Plugged seat post..

RUBONE wrote:Is there any evidence that the seat post was broken and the sleeve was part of the repair? That is a common scenario.

like this, you mean? http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bboard ... -8671.html

ok, I think that's the answer - thanks

Return to 45 Flatties