FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Kicker don't kick.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

knucklebolt

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:17 am

Kicker don't kick.

My kicker wasn't kicking that great, sometimes seemed to miss/skip a tooth or something. So on the way home after work I got some goo to put in the tranny, as it was still dry/empty.

About the second kick she stopped kicking...the teeth aren't engaging for some reason, I'm not sure what adding lube to it made what difference. ???

I'm sure I'll sort it out, but that sure seems unusual. ?? Now you can kind of feel it trying to grab, but it just feels like the teeth on the kicker gears are skipping, and it wont' engage and actually kick the motor over.

So, anyone else have that happen?

TIA

ken
<<

woody

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:50 am

Re: Kicker don't kick.

Ken,
Check the bushing on the gear that slips over the mainshaft. If it is too tight, you get what you have.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Will do....I'll pull the plug tonite and let her drain for a day or so first. I can still work on the wiring as soon as my generator and that stuff arrives. But yeah, I really don't have a clue...new one on me, although I've had kickers in the past that seemed to skip a tooth now and then, but never got worse. Gave the bike two kicks after adding lube, and that's all she wrote.

k.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:18 pm

What a funny deal, came home, pulled the drain plug, then worked the kicker a couple of times by hand/arm, now she's catching half the time. Must be as Woody says, that little gear-clutch-ratchet thingie must be wanting to stay in the popped-out/popped up position when the kicker arm and shaft returns to the upright position. Why it would do it when there's oil in the tranny, and not when it was dry...that's a mystery to me. !!

You know, there's a spring in there that holds the ratchet and gear together..., don't have the manual handy...maybe that went weak or broken.

On the upside, my generator and battery box arrived today. In theory, fix the kicker, install generator and battery, wire her up, add gas and she'll be ready to fire up.

k.

Return to Big Twin Flatties