Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions General Whatever-Technical wiring bug

wiring bug

Pretty much anything not covered by the topics above. Short lived production bikes or vehicles, Electrical, Tires, Paint, Brakes, etc. Use this for tech questions, and "Shoot the Bull" for general conversation, no tech.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:21 am

help needed,

the first time after 12 years my 46FL left me in the lurch and I had to pick it up with a trailer. Shortcut in the wiring circuit.
Now, I resoldered some connections around battery ground and positive wire from the batterie to the frame post. The bike was back on the road ... not fully though:

When I put the ignition switch to running position, both control lamps work. When I turn the switch to the light position, the entire light system doesnt work and the 2 control lights in the dash go out. When I return the switch to the first position, the control lamps still dont work .. however, after some seconds they go on!. Then I can start the bike. When I then turn the switch back to the light position, the bike continues to run fine but the 2 control lamps start to slightly dim (the light works).

The bike has a brand new battery and I have a fuse between the positive post of the battery and the terminal post at the frame (close to the seat post). Otherwise the generator converted to 2 brush.

Any help is highly appreciated

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:16 am

Bad switch?

Return to General Whatever-Technical