FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WLA trans

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Keith

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:05 pm

WLA trans

I have just got my trans back after an expensive proffessional rebuild. I noticed the clutch gear #2513-41 is loose. When I install the clutch base #247241 and tighten the nut, I can feel sideways soppyiness in the splined gear #2513-41, and when I assemble the clutch assembly complete, including the side cover with the clutch operating arm and throw out bearing rod, the clutch base moves in and out about 1/8" or maybe just a bit more. Not the clutch base , but the clutch gear #2513-41 inside the trans. This may-be OK, but not for chain allignement. Any advise from the experts, to help keep these beautiflu old bangers for the years to come.
Cheers Keith
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Re: WLA trans

Keith wrote:I have just got my trans back after an expensive proffessional rebuild. I noticed the clutch gear #2513-41 is loose. When I install the clutch base #247241 and tighten the nut, I can feel sideways soppyiness in the splined gear #2513-41, and when I assemble the clutch assembly complete, including the side cover with the clutch operating arm and throw out bearing rod, the clutch base moves in and out about 1/8" or maybe just a bit more. Not the clutch base , but the clutch gear #2513-41 inside the trans. This may-be OK, but not for chain allignement. Any advise from the experts, to help keep these beautiflu old bangers for the years to come.
Cheers Keith

The #2513-41 clutch gear should not be loose at all. It should be free turning with no noticable end play. There should be no looseness felt after the clutch hub #2472-41 is installed either. The spline fit is an interference fit. That 1/8" is totally unexceptable. None of the symtoms you explained are acceptable. Send the gearbox back and tell them to do it correctly or refund all of your money !! Just my whole dollar bill sense. Pa
<<

Keith

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:43 pm

Many Many thanks for your reply. Yes I am not happy with the loosness of the clutch splined gear.
I will have to spend good money to post the unit back for re work.
Not good at all.
Cheers Keith
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:29 am

Keith wrote:Many Many thanks for your reply. Yes I am not happy with the loosness of the clutch splined gear.
I will have to spend good money to post the unit back for re work.
Not good at all.
Cheers Keith

Make them spend the return shipping. All they need do is send you a shipping label that makes them pay for the trip back. UPS and FedEx will accomodate such shipping.

Return to 45 Flatties