FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

S&S Flathead Power Cylinders

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

h.d.ryder

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:45 am

S&S Flathead Power Cylinders

Has anyone recently purchased Big Twin F.H.P. cylinder and piston kits from S&S vendors?
And, has anyone had any issues and problems with these products?
Just wondering ,if I`m the only one? I purchased a set in Dec.2012 ,had to send them back ,my second set was full of flaws ,as well,I received my third set yesterday Mar.28 ,2013 ,they are worse. I paid top dollar for this kit ,and I expected it would be perfect like all the other S&S products I have been buying for last 3 1/2 decades .
In all fairness ,I won`t go into detail until I talk to the vendor after the weekend.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: S&S Flathead Power Cylinders

I would insist your vendor prove where he actually got those cylinders.
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:44 am

I sent pics to Brent G. at S&S . He confirmed they are S&S.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:46 am

I am sure S&S will take care of you then.
<<

Andyj

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:38 am

I bought a set of 80 in. S&S cylinders and pistons from a dealer here in England a few weeks ago but I've not inspected them closely yet.
I'd be interested in what the problems are so I can see if I have any.
Thanks
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:59 pm

Problem solved ,
I talked with my vendor ,they talked with S&S ,they know there is a problem ,they are going to pay the return shipping from my town to Wi., and send me a full refund. I`m happy with that.
Larry
<<

37ULH

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:26 pm

Disturbing... as the implication is that they cannot, to date, make good ones. If this is true and the problem is acknowledged, why then are they being marketed?
Did they offer a 4th try with testimonial that they'll be good or have you decided you want to buy import or OEM?
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 pm

After lots of patience and 3 trys ,I didn`t want to try a fourth .They are giving me my money back without any argument.
<<

amklyde

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:30 am

H.D. Ryder, could you elaborate on the problems with the cylinders? I have a set on the bench now that look pretty good. This pair was sent as replacement for the first set, which looked very good but had way too much valve to guide clearance. I may replace the Eastern supplied valves with PM. The PM valves are .0015 larger which would allow me to keep clearance in tolerance and run the Honeall through the guides for a better finish. We also bought a set of FHP aluminum heads for this 40ULH motor with compression ratio at 6.25, which I think is higher than anything available on OEM motors. The customer has a lean 48 chassy with 8" over springer, should be the fastest flatty in the valley.
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:45 am

Hi Amklyde ,when I get home from work tonite I`ll send you a P.M. of the issues I had with mine and what you might want to look for. I just don`t want to publicly bash the vendor or S&S ,because they are giving me a refund and making it right. If they were not going to make it right ,then I would post my pics and story on every forum I belong to.
I also bought a set of S&S alum. Flatheads,(regular comp.ratio) and they are top notch good quality.
Cheers!
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:49 pm

I don't think that pointing out flaws in a product is bashing.
<<

MarkBranst

Post Wed May 01, 2013 10:02 am

Thank you Chris!

If people are consistently (or even inconsistently) having what sound like major problems with parts that are costing in the thousands of dollars, I think it would be more than useful, and highly appropriate to discuss. If the manufacturer would like to get involved in that discussion, more power to them ...

Mark
<<

helsingborg

Post Thu May 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Mine came perfect in every spec....and beautiful. I suppose the "loose" valve to guide clearance is deliberate. Better safe than sorry specially when you don't know who's going to put the engine together.
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Thu May 02, 2013 10:33 pm

Well ,I heard they were perfect ,that`s why I bought them,but I sure wish mine were half decent and I would not need to send them back 3 times.
<<

FHP-Eric

Post Tue May 21, 2013 10:23 am

Fellas,
S&S/FHP will stand behind any manufacturing defect. In this instance was really unfortunate that the same customer had issues 3 times (one of which we can only surmise was damage in shipping) If i remember correctly one set was a break thru from the exhaust port to one of the head bolt holes on the rear cylinder. A feature that happend on occasion to stock cylinder castings as well, the two stock sets of cylinders in my office both have this issue. The head bolt plugs off the passage and like stock will run just fine. Since these are replicas of stock cylinders with stock ports, it can happen in core shift of the ports. We are working to add material to the casting to eliminate the issue. The loose valve guide fit was an error in supply, we had been using "no ream" rowe guides that do have a looser fit, but since rowe went out of buisness, thier fit on the last batch of guides was suspect. We have since gone with a different guide supplier and ream every guide in house to stock specifications. We strive for a quality product, but every once in a while something slips thru with these old and highly complex castings. Unfotunately like i said this customer had all the bad luck one could ask for, and i believe we did the very best we could to try to make it right but in the end, the customer just wanted a refund. We understood his frustration, and made no issue of returning his money. Going forward, we have implemented some additional quality checks and as i mentioned we are altering the tooling. Will this eliminate every chance of something sub standard getting out? Probably not, but rest assured that if you do get a substandard part, we are only a phone call away, and we will do whatever we can to rectify the issue.
Eric
Flathead Power
<<

fhsmith1

Post Wed May 22, 2013 7:17 pm

eric
Your posting this will help confidence.
F
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Thu May 23, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi Eric,
There was absolutely no damage from shipping on any of the 3 orders that I have received. The cylinders were packaged so well ,it was not damaged from shipping.
There was more issues than just the head bolt threads going right thru ,and into the exhaust port. and I have copies of the pictures I sent to S&S.
And no, I have not received my refund yet , This has been going on since Dec.2012.
I really don`t care who is at fault anymore ,the dealer or S&S ?
All I know is ,I paid top dollar for these cylinders ,and I`m still waiting for my refund .How long is this supposed to go on ?
Larry L.
<<

FHP-Eric

Post Tue May 28, 2013 8:35 am

h.d.ryder,
Being in the Engineering Department i could only assume you had recieved your refund by now. I'd be upset too! I will get on this and let you know what i find out. Sorry for ALL of the inconvienences!
Eric
Flathead Power
<<

FHP-Eric

Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:00 am

h.d.ryder,
I had our Tech/Sales check this out, the dealer has been refunded, they just need the parts returned, so all you need to do is return the parts to the dealer and you will have a full refund.
Eric
Flathead Power
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Tue May 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi Eric,
The parts have been sent back in April.
But , I did finally get a refund this afternoon ,according to my dealer . He credited my PayPal account today.
No more whining from me .
Thanks,
Larry L.

Return to Big Twin Flatties