FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Scavenger pump gear

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

SuperSideValve

Post Tue May 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Scavenger pump gear

I have a freshly rebuilt U engine that unfortunately has a scavenger pump installed with a chain oiler.
I want to get rid of the chain oiler option without having to mount and time a new scavenger pump. Thought this should be possible by carefully removing the scavenger pump cover and replacing it with a cover without a chain oiler.
Sounded good, but after removing the cover I found the drive gear had a little notch to feed the chain oiler. I am afraid to remove this gear witch lock rings and drive key and was wondering if I can just leave this gear in place and just mount the new cover?
Can I safely do this and/or has anyone ever run a scavenger pump without chain oiler this way?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert
<<

don

Post Tue May 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: Scavenger pump gear

I ran the chain oiler on a 47Ul, Then went to o-ring drive chain, Blocked the rear chain oiler tubing with No adverse Oil Return to the oil tank.
So I think You are Safe to just replace the cover.
(the return oil has no place else to go but back to oil tank.)
don
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue May 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: Scavenger pump gear

It is no big deal to drop the drive gear on the pump as long as you do not permit the shaft from dropping down more than the clearance needed to remove the keepers. I just did my pump without disturbing the timing of it.

Return to Big Twin Flatties