FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Oil pressure issue?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

37ULH

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Re: Oil pressure issue?

I would guess that levers or a hammer would work well. Some may accomplish this with only a wrench.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:05 pm

37ULH wrote:I don't see how cam bushings could cause wet sumping, sorry!

Because The oil flow enters the pump at the rotor and vane area before it stops at a check valve ball. It is here where the oil leaks past the bushing into the case. Click on the actual pic to view a larger size. Use your back button to return to topic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

44dwarf

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:49 pm

I'd bet the fine gents up at Harbor Vintage in Jones VT could set you up with a good pump at a reasonable price.
Never been in the door but i drove by the place for 2 years while in school....keep meaning to stop in when i'm back up in that area but allway pressed for time.
"Smok'in the competition NOT Tobacco"
"Transplant organs, Don't bury them!"
Why dwarf? 5/8 scale race cars! http://www.dwarfcarracing.com
<<

37ULH

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Thanks for the diagram as i hadn't really looked at it in detail, not having had issue in past that couldn't be easily resolved by substitution. The supply, including my own, is dwindling. I have three left not in use that all need repair so this is helpful.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 pm

The factory got it right as long as the tolerances were to specs between the cam journal and gear cover bushing. To loose and oil gets past the additional clearance.
<<

X-WLCH

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:09 am

SOME PEOPLE HAVE SUCCESSFULLY RE LAPPED THE BALL SEAT. ( I THINK IT HAS BEEN A TOPIC OF DISCUSSION SEVERAL TIMES ) AND A NEW SPRING MAY HELP.
IT'S WORTH A TRY BEFORE REPLACING THE PUMP, AND CHECK THE BUSHING.
I FIND THAT THE BEST SOLUTION IS TO NOT LET THE BIKE SIT FOR A WEEK WITHOUT RIDING IT. :wink:
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:20 pm

The gear cover pump bushing flange can have an effect on oil leakage around the cam journal as well.
<<

bluesman

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:17 am

New Balls and springs and no sumping after one day and excellent pressure. I drained out the crankcase and got the correct 3 or so oz. out, so now to wait a week and see if it all drains out or stays where it should in the tank. Not sure I can refrain from riding her that long!? :mrgreen:
<<

bluesman

Post Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:06 am

Well, I guess I spoke too soon, because the last pump was working, but sumping I replaced it. This replacement pump provides great pressure but sumps just as bad or worse than the previous one. It will drain a quart every 2-3 days into the case. The return flow at the tank is strong, and I did drain the case after riding and it showed the proper 3 oz. of oil in the bottom, so the system seems to be working well with the exception of the pesky sumping issue.

The second pump I used was an original harley pump that showed very little wear. It is of the newer? style with only 2 springs/balls. It was media blasted and I installed new springs and check balls. The darn thing looks almost new!

Pa, you said " The gear cover pump bushing flange can have an effect on oil leakage around the cam journal as well." How do I inspect for this, is it simply looking for play at the pump flange bushing with the pup removed?

I am not sure what else to do next other than the controversial lapping of the seats. I am going to pull the pump, clean it and put it under a high powered scope to inspect the ball valve seats. I am not sure of any way to "bench" test the pumps ability to not leak past the balls. :?:
<<

wilko

Post Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:36 pm

Just put up with it like thousands of others.
Previous

Return to 45 Flatties