FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

no start (electrical)

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

buddha

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:40 pm

no start (electrical)

Hello to all,
Its been awhile since I was here because I had no issues with my '56 servi for quit some time. But now I have a no start problem. As I said it's a '56 servi, 45 flattie, 12 volt conversion. I have been running this for several yrs. with no problems. Fast forward to current::: went to start after sitting over winter(I live in Pa.), 2nd kick fires up( as it has for many many yrs). Yesterday it fired right up again, ran for 2-3 minutes, pulled out of garage, stalled!!! Here's my findings; Batt full charge, lights/horn work,got fuel( I know because dropped gas filter & gas poured out). Pulled plugs but got no spark on either!!!!!!!!! My deduction, electrical. Now, I know volts,amps, & continuity using multitester. I really don't know/understand OHMS. In simple laymans terms, where do I start? I have square type coil, actually, all electrical components are from "45 Resto", again 12 volt system. If you can help me in order of sequence of what& how to check/diagnose this problem I'd really appreciate it. Thank you much !! Bruce
<<

37ULH

Post Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: no start (electrical)

Check battery grounding. Check that you are getting voltage to the coil and if so, to the points. Are the points opening when the engine is turned over. It could also be that the points need cleaned or replaced. If all that is good the you'll need to check the coil.
<<

buddha

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:48 am

thanks so much, I'll begin the elimination process tonite. I'll get a crash course today on understanding reading of ohms. That being said, I;ll look at points and loose wires but how do I check condensor or coil?
<<

37ULH

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:59 am

If you are getting good voltage to the coil and points, the coil can be tested by removing the plugs and grounding them while connected to the high tension leads. Turn the engine to where the points are closed. Turn on the ignition switch and manually open the points without shorting the arm while observing the plugs. Condenser by substitution.
<<

buddha

Post Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:51 pm

update; checked points had spark,,,went to terminal box found no lose wires,,,,traced wires to ign switch found broken wire on upper right terminal and found weakened wire on lower right,,, repaired,,,checked continuity from coil to distributor,plug wires etc.. thought i was looking at bad coil. Just for giggles put back together had spark from plugs. Fired up on 1st kick. Thanks to you all.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:05 am

TA DA !!!!! Great News !!

Return to Servi-Cars