FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What Bullshit!!!

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Curt!

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 pm

What Bullshit!!!

So, I call my local Harley dealer to place an order for parts today. For the last 15 years he given me a reseller discount that amount to 15-20% which really doesn't even cover the gas to go get the parts, but I do it as a customer service to help out. I check price and availability and the counter comes back with 499.00. I say "Well, I know that's retail, what's my cost" He says "499.00." I asked about my discount and he says "We don't give any discounts anymore" He put the parts manager on and I'm informed that Harley has a policy of not selling anything to somebody that will re-sell the parts. He said he had a letter in hand that Harley wants copies of any sales to independent shops and their addresses. Dealers who sell to independent shops are subject to a 10,000.00 fine per occurrence. I can just see a letter coming telling me to cease working on Harleys coming soon.. So, I check online with other dealers selling on line and sure as hell there it is :"We do not sell to anyone who intends to re-sell these parts, please respect that policy. If we believe you are reselling HD parts, your account will be closed." So, now my customers can buy parts cheaper than I can buy them.
I was told by the parts guy that HD is putting up an online catalog, so customers can buy direct from the factory at retail prices. Any dealer with an online presence cannot advertise a lower price than the factory catalog. So, the MoFo is screwing their dealers, too.
Well, done venting... time to come up with a new strategy..
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Re: What Bullshit!!!

WOW ! What a screwing !!!
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:21 am

Jaguar Cars used to be notorious for this in the UK, there was not much of a developed aftermarket and you HAD to get your spares from them. They would also harass independent garages advertising that they worked on Jags.

I'm only surprised that an independent shop actually buys anything from HD any more. UK prices mean that the aftermarket stuff is cheaper, anyway. That might change with an online shop.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Curt!

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:14 am

45brit... I have lots of customers that really like the Screaming chicken synthetic oils. When they bought their new bike, Harley has a habit of impressing upon them a need to use the HD oil and filters. There are a variety of fuel injection parts that aren't available aftermarket. I use S&S parts if they have something comparable and overall aftermarket covers 80% of parts I need, but many customers request OEM parts and I try to accommodate them.
Curt!
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:18 am

This is nothing new. It has been going on for a year.
<<

X-WLCH

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:34 am

Harley (or I should say Davidson) has always tried to put everyone else out of business, one way or another.

Return to Dear Blabby