FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Drilling Machines

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Robertswan

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:46 am

Drilling Machines

Do you think drilling machines can be used for other functions like spot facing, reaming and tapping?
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:17 am

Re: Drilling Machines

Depends on the capabilities of the drilling machine, such as speeds and feeds and how they are controled. Also depends on the tooling and tool drivers used. Drilling machines are not rigid enough for accurate milling. They cannot handle the side force well. I've not seen a drilling machine truly capable of milling machine purposes. This is why there are specialty machinery such as drill presses, lathes, milling machines, planers, shapers, grinders, etc.. My advice is don't waste your money on one. Used machinery is quite afordable since so many machine shops have been put out to pasture by CNC robotic machinery.
<<

Robertswan

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:12 am

Thanks for your views. At some point I also agree that used or second hand machines can offer good results.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:18 pm

A friend bought a Milling and Drilling machine from Harbor Freight. He amazed me with what he did with it.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:49 pm

Chris Haynes wrote:A friend bought a Milling and Drilling machine from Harbor Freight. He amazed me with what he did with it.

After a few dozen uses he will toss it. Unless he is really good with c-clamps to hold everything in place while making tool moves. ;)
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:12 pm

Pa wrote:
Chris Haynes wrote:A friend bought a Milling and Drilling machine from Harbor Freight. He amazed me with what he did with it.

After a few dozen uses he will toss it. Unless he is really good with c-clamps to hold everything in place while making tool moves. ;)

He used it for years.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:22 am

Chris Haynes wrote:
Pa wrote:

He used it for years.

Then he is either good with c-clamps or he is doing more hand work using files and emery paper than needed. Just stating my experiences with them.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:14 pm

PA, This is a very old "Milling and Drilling" machine. Obviously much higher quality than what is sold today.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Chris Haynes wrote:PA, This is a very old "Milling and Drilling" machine. Obviously much higher quality than what is sold today.

OOPS ! My mind was on the Asian junk passed along as machinery.
<<

Limey_Dave

Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:09 am

As above,it needs to be a good machine to perform milling operations.
As far as spot facing,you can use a piloted spot facer in a drill,the best come with interchangable pilots.
Tapping can be done with a "Tap-o-matic" fitted.To use one,the drill has to have somewhere to locate a stop.When the tool hits the stop it reverses.
The tap is held in a rubber lined collet.

Return to General Whatever-Technical