FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Connecting Rod set's

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

1948u

Post Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:51 pm

Connecting Rod set's

Has anyone out there had any luck with the variety of ul replacement rods that are out their? I've been building my rods for 28 years and they are 65 years old. So far I haven't heard anything good about the reproduction Rods. my flywheels require the tapered crank pin and most of them seem to have stepped crank pins.
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:10 am

Re: Connecting Rod set's

I presume you are referring to the $199.00 rods available on ebay. Haven't heard anything good about them. Unfortunately I suffer from CRS, but think the bottom line is they just don't fit right, and parts aren't inchangeable with original equipment to make them fit right. Best you can do is look for original stuff at swap meets or ebay. Not sure what you meant with your statement "my flywheels require the tapered crank pin and most of them seem to have stepped crank pins". All HD flywheels use a tapered crankpin, and stock UL wheels should be fitted with the stepped pin. The earlier straight pin used in BTSV's shouldn't be used merely because the later stepped pin ass'y gives a stronger, longer lasting assembly. The tapers in the wheels, however, never changed. Hope that gives you the info you needed.
DD
<<

1948u

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks for the reply Frankenstein. That's funny I also suffer from CRS. I have my original Rod set that I've been using for 28 years and can rebuild them. I was just hoping to find something new and good quality. I saw this set on eBay and after reading some of the posts about them I never pursued them. The replacement Rod sets and pins I am referring to come from the following suppliers. Liquid choppers $299, Flathead motorcycle company $415, and superior motorcycle supply $489. These are all companies that claim to supply ul Rod sets that fit perfectly. I am a little leery about this because J P cycles also sell a set, but after talking to them I found out that the rods were too short and did not fit. They are now correcting their catalog information. So there seems to be a lot of options out there but after my experience with JP cycle I was just wondering if anybody out there had good experience with any of these other suppliers. Living up in northern Canada I don't really want to ordering the parts just find out that they don't fit.
<<

helsingborg

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:00 pm

If Kurt at Flatland Motorcycle Company (45 parts depot) has a reproduction set I'd buy it without a second thought. Good stuff there.

Return to Big Twin Flatties