FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Magnum?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Beachdog

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: Magnum?

Enigma, I figured it was probably parts availability.
<<

BREWSKI

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:02 pm

WOW!!!!! I didn't think this thread would generate this much interest!.I just got a chance today to do some checking and thought I would update, the cases will require some welding as Vince has stated,theortically it will work but the spigot walls will get really weak. There is enough case boss to relocate the studs,but welding in certain areas might occur. I KNOW 45" cases are weak, people have destroyed stock WR cases,thus as was stated ,I intend to run a complete S&S XL bottom end witn a conversion to XL Timken bearings as per my KR/WL. AS far as the 12.5 compression is concerned,I intend to run a set of S&S compresson releases in order to start this thing. Thanks BREWSKI
<<

George Greer

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:39 pm

---
Last edited by George Greer on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

BREWSKI

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:03 pm

George, I would like some more/detailed information on your oil pump/distribution block. I will have to run oil lines to the XR top end and would appreciate any info regarding this subject. NICE PROJECT! My next effort when I get a chance is to locate my Xr cylinder base shims and pull the studs out of the 45" cases and try to determine exactly where the cases need to be welded,by overlaying the shims over the cases. This might be a while I have to locate the shims and figure out how to post pictures(I finally broke down and bought a digital camera last year) BREWSKI
<<

wilko

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:34 pm

Why not oil the heads with a "T" line off the oil return pipe, like tons of british bikes do? Save you having to completely re design oil galleries? Or do you prefer complication?
<<

BREWSKI

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Wilko,obviously you are not familiar with an XR oiling system,I strongly suggest you review a H-D manual then revise you opinion. BREWSKI
<<

45Brit

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 am

wilko wrote:Why not oil the heads with a "T" line off the oil return pipe, like tons of british bikes do? ....

That answers itself, doesn't it? Never had a Constellation, obviously....
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

BREWSKI

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:07 pm

No ,I'm proud to be a redneck AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!, Iwas in a major M/C club for years!!!!!!!!!!.Like I told someone recently,I suscbribe to the theory that there is something wrong with people that have "BROWN EYES" there is a ................ in the wood pile. BREWSKI

..........line edited out by Pa
<<

37ULH

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Bruce at Enfield Racing has a georotor oil pump for H-D sidevalves that has been developed and was to undergo street testing. He should be able to provide specs for his pump to see whether it would meet your needs.
<<

37ULH

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:53 pm

If your selection of crankcases include any electric start ones, i believe their left case has more meat than std WL / WLA.
<<

George Greer

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:14 pm

---
Last edited by George Greer on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

45Brit

Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:40 am

I've lost the thread if the wilko/brewski contribution , above. The point about the English-style tapping off the return line is that it tended to be a good way to make a mess and not much else. The big Enfields were notorious for ths; they depended, effectively, on the back pressure from the rocker gear to control the flow, so when the bushes became worn the top end would over-oil, leak badly AND starve the main supply, all at once. BSA used the same detail but made it work by restricting the pipe diameter, which worked a bit better but still meant that the top end was lubricated by used oil at engine temperature. All British bikes suffer to various extents from top end leakage due to the numerous, inadequate bolted joints around the top end area, and multiple banjo joints in the oil transmission lines to the top end.

Generally speaking, period Harley's are better engineered than British bikes; the ohv conversions of the 30s and 40s are little more than production versions of after-market kits with the defects of that approach built in-look at the way Triumoh went from 8, to 9 and finally 10 studs because the joint simply wasn't strong enough, for example.

Frankly, Brirush bike engineering works well enough these days because the surviving examples are machines assembled regardless if cost, by enthusiasts, who do very limited mileages in most cases.
<<

X-WLCH

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:04 pm

your building a sportster. run a sportster pump. HD already figured that out , use what you know works. Magnums are reliable engines when built with all sportster parts (except the 45 cases and 45 lifter blocks everything should be sportster). However no good race engine is reliable, that is not its function. like any engine if you are going to run this engine till it blows it will blow.
When i build hot rod bike engines people ask if i will guarantee that they wont blow up. i tell them that i can only guarantee that it can blow up.
<<

wilko

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:44 pm

And using 12.1 pistons will certainly speed the blowing up process! Are you going to use methanol?
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:23 pm

wilko wrote:And using 12.1 pistons will certainly speed the blowing up process! Are you going to use methanol?

+1 for that. I once had a Triumph with the 11.5:1 piston s and it was just too lumpy on the road, terrible vibration and very hard to start. I'd reckon any compression ratio much above 9:1 s built for racing, or just posing.
<<

antiquespeed&machine

Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:44 pm

Brewski- Are they iron-barrel XR or aluminum? I'm not up on the dimensions of the XR parts, but I built a magnum motor with exposed valvetrain and used full length case studs. I think it is the best way to go.
<<

BREWSKI

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:43 pm

I have a set of early XR cylinders with the liners and two sets of the Nikasil (late model) cylinders,Thanks for the info on the oil pump,I was planning om using a XL pump ala Frankenstein. The top end will be totally XR,including the studs,I even have a set of New D-port heads I bought for my 95 hp XR1000 and never got around to using them, AS far as the 12.5 pistons go,I got a screaming deal on all 6 sets,The dome can always be machined as per Vince"s MAGNUM. This project is going to take a while,I'll post pictures as things progress. Thanks for the input and patience. BREWSKI
<<

George Greer

Post Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:16 am

---
<<

BREWSKI

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:21 pm

I have located my XR parts stash and will be posting some pictures of this project as it progresses. Hopefully SOON!!!!!!!!!
<<

BREWSKI

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:50 pm

I started to pull the cylinder base studs out of a set of cases and just found my XR750 cylinder base shims today. I got real lucky and decided to drop a shim on the 45" cylinder studs,after some wiggling the shim fit on the 45" studs,the XR cylinder base spigot is 3 3/8" O.D. I will have to check both cylinders but this looks easier than I thought,no welding involved. I forgot to take a camera with me today, I will post some pictures ASAP!!
PreviousNext

Return to 45 Flatties