FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Question about rear footboard support rod

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Piotra

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:31 pm

Question about rear footboard support rod

Maybe it's stupid question but I need an answer. How should be mounted rear footboard support rod in harley WL-WLA. The rear support rod should be inserted from the left side of frame and than the big nut is on the right side of frame. Or the rod should be inserted from the right side and than the nut is on the left side.
If the nut is on the right side of frame than should be there any spacer on the rod and than brake shaft lever or just big nut than brake shaft lever and than right sidebar and small nut? Maybe you have any detailed picture of these parts on the frame?

.... And Happy New Year

Piotr
<<

arc1953

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:22 pm

Re: Question about rear footboard support rod

You may already know this but, looking in the 'Spare Parts' book, the drawing shows the nut on the right side of the frame. I don't have much knowledge in this area, so I am waiting to see what others more knowledgeable than me have to say about it. I have always ran forward controls and highway pegs on my 45 and am going to return to the stock floorboards when I have accumulated all the parts.......ARC
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:34 pm

Rod enters frame from the left side and the nut screws onto the rod on the right side with the hex head facing away. The parts books show the nut in the incorrect position.
<<

Piotra

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks a lot. I have a parts catalog but I do not believe in everythink what is showed in this book.
<<

Piotra

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:53 am

Hello again. Today I tried to mount the rear footboard support rod as you told and is shown in parts catalog. And I have to ask again.
Are you sure that rear support rod should be inserted from left side of frame and the nut is on the right side???
Look for example at photo in Palmer's book on page 73 where the rods are shown. When I am installing the rod from the right side (another than in parts catalog) than the brake shaft lever perfectly fit on the rod and from the left side the outer primary cover also fit perfectly. When I am installing the rod from the left side the primary cover is to far from the engine and on the right side I have than big nut, and the rod is too short to install the brake shaft lever. I'm sure that my footboard support rod is not original but looks like OEM.
Can you check this on real bike? Not in parts catalog?
Moreover, when I have installed rear rod from left side of frame, the front and rear rod are from the left side of bike of the same lenght and on right side, front rod is longer than rear rod. If the rear rod is inserted to the frame from right side than each rod (front and rear) from each side of bike (left and right) has other lenght. Is it OK? I am building an bike and still do not have side bars so I can not fit it.
<<

ohio-rider

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:52 am

Mine goes in from the right with the nut on the left.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

rd.king

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:54 am

Yes in on the brake side with the nut on the clutch side.

Left or right always depends on where one is standing or sitting.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:56 am

OOPS..........my mirror from right or left. Thanks for reversing my mind Steve. What you show in the pics is what I meant.
<<

Piotra

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks. So this means that there is an error in the parts catalog because on the scheme there is a thread and nut on the brake side. :shock:
<<

RUBONE

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Bullshit! On a vehicle it is always the same, no matter where you are in relation to it.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:31 pm

RUBONE wrote:

Bullshit! On a vehicle it is always the same, no matter where you are in relation to it.

Unless you are dyslexic like I have grown to be over the years Robbie. I forget right is left and left is right now a days.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Piotra wrote:Thanks. So this means that there is an error in the parts catalog because on the scheme there is a thread and nut on the brake side. :shock:

Yes...the illustration in the parts book is layed out incorrectly to the viewer. You will come across nearly a hundred mistakes and errors in the parts books as you build a bike.
<<

arc1953

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:26 pm

I am very glad this question was asked, because I am 100% sure I would have done it wrong......ARC
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Another error in the parts books is the jiffystand illustration. The Illustration leads the assembler to believe the collar goes in from the top and the flat washer goes in at the bottom. It is not impossible to fit the collar as illustrated but the washer will not go as illustrated. I knew a guy who figured the washer was the error so he left it off. He assembled the stand as he thought the illustration showed it. First time he leaned the bike over on the stand, the bike fell over.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:59 pm

Mistakes in a parts book? Heresy! But next time you are looking plesae give me the part number for the 5th bolt on a Big Twin transmission. :D
<<

Neil74

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:12 pm

Would that be part #4323 in the1941-1954 book or #2263-36Bin the 36-1948 book Chris? 41-54 support bracket bolt and 36-48 support bracket bolt
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:19 pm

Ya know....Since this topic was brought up, I ran across much more parts book data errors than I even thought existed. Nut part numbers that are smaller than screw thread shaft sizes. Whew !!! Those parts books must have driven the military motorpool and civilian dealship mechanics nuts !!!
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:12 am

Neil74 wrote:Would that be part #4323 in the1941-1954 book or #2263-36Bin the 36-1948 book Chris? 41-54 support bracket bolt and 36-48 support bracket bolt

Yup, But I was thinking of later Pan/Shovel books. I remember because back in the '70's a guy wanted one and we looked through all the parts books in the dealership and none had it listed.

Return to 45 Flatties