FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WLA Trans In Progress

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: WLA Trans In Progress

Bet you all thought this topic had ended ....heh ??? LOL... I had to correct my transmission. No.....The errors were not serious errors. I had painted the trans cover olive drab and it should have been painted cream white to be correct for my wla's military registration number. I also forgot to install the 2432-41A spring release washer on the forward end of the clutch release lever. All fixed now!!!!!!!
<<

47knuck

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:04 am

Nice. Many thanks to all. I lived and died with Technical Orders (Air Force) for most of 40 years. This has been better than any I worked with. Have done this process at work. And it is work. Thanks for the time and detail.
Steve
Steve H
<<

arc1953

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:13 pm

Hello,
Congratulations Pa, and others for a very nice tranny build. I have read it several times and will read it several more times. In '08 I trashed the tranny in my '45, but due to financial reasons I have been unable to start rebuilding until now. The mainshaft bearings in the right side went south and ruined the race, shaft, spacer collar, etc. I have started ordering parts and getting ready to rebuild. I am very curious how you resized the clutch gear bearing race. Also, the mainshaft race in the end cover has so much metal displaced, that I can only assume that the new race is installed flush on the inside. Is this right? I am hoping that I can do as nice a job rebuilding my trans as you did..........ARC
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:04 am

Thank you ARC and have a good time rebuilding your tranny. It is usually not neccessary to size the main bearing race but if a new one seems a bit tight, hone it to size. You are correct on the seating of the cover mainshaft race. Pa
<<

Brendan

Post Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:02 pm

Well done, and thanks for all the help on my transmission. I have all parts of my bike painted and ready to assemble over my christmas break. its been a while and the white paint on my cover turned a little yellow, same with oil pumps.
thanks again
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:57 pm

The white paint should look somewhat yellowed so you are good to go on the paint as well. I have to remove the chain oiler clip from my transmissions kicker spring stud because my bike would not have had a rear chain oiler on it. The engine scavenger oil pump cover plate provides the lube via the rear chain oiler line and my, correct for my bike, scavenger pump does not have a port for the rear chain oiler line fitting.
Previous

Return to 45 Flatties