FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Wico magnetos

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

BREWSKI

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Wico magnetos

In a recent discussion with a close friend of mine,the subnect of magnetos losing their magnetic properties came up. The question is when does a magneto need to be remagnetized? Does this result from NON-USE? i've always heard that welding on a magneto-equiped bike would effect the magneto,but through personal experience I know this is pure bull! Any input would be appreciated. TIA BREWSKI
<<

enigmas

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Wico magnetos

Hi Brewski,
The magneto (Hunt) has been on my scoot for 10 years...and even then it was 2nd hand. The bike doesn't get a lot of use but the magneto works fine. I can't see that your Wico would be any different with losing magnetism! I've also done quite a bit of welding on my scoot without issue to the mag. ~ Vince
<<

MOLDTHREAD

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:47 am

The issue of losing magnitism is genneraly a issue with older magnetos that use a horseshoe or u shaped magnet. these were just made using a special grade of hardened steel that would lose the magnetisn from just sitting, shock, heat, not having a keeper across the poles when remove from the mag, or the mag sitting on a bike without the armature aligned with the poles.
The Newer rotating magnet types developed in the late such as the Wico, Fairbanks morse, Edison/ Splitdorf RM and the Lucas (both rotating and stationary), all used ALNICO magnets which are not as sensitive, but still can lose their charge.
Today all the magnetos made by JOE HUNT and MORRIS use what are called RARE EARTH magnets and do not have this problem.
Bruce Argetsinger
AHRMA Dirt Track # 67J
www.enfieldracing.com
<<

BREWSKI

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks,the magneto in the conversation was off a 1948 WR ,that is all original and has been in my possession for over 25 years,still awaiting a project. (sitting on the shelf for over 25 years). I have bought Fairbanks-Morse Magnetos that have sit for years and still worked. Brewski

Return to 45 Flatties