FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Inline 4

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Curt!

Post Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Inline 4

I just had a fellow in the shop and had a very interesting conversation with him. He said when he was 18 his dad bought him this 1942 Indian inline 4 motorcycle. He had 150 miles on it and fell over breaking a leg. His dad took the bike away from him and put it in the shed, where it still resides today. Original paint and showroom clean. His age was about right for the timeline. Here's where my bullshit meter started blinking. He told me it had a water cooled Continental engine in it. The Indian inline 4 engine does look like a Continental engine used in airplanes and various pieces of machinery around here, so I'm wondering if he just wasn't remembering right. He said when they tried to get it running about 20 years ago he bought points for a Continental engine for it. So, maybe that's what got the idea of a Continental engine in his head. Anyways he said a fellow offered him 25,000.00 for it about 10 years ago and he turned it down. He seems to think it's worth 400k. The bike is sitting about 150 miles from me and he claims he wants to sell it. I've been on many a wild goose chase over the years, a lot of them further away than this one is. Do you guys think he's full of crap? or is it worth the road trip to find out?
On another related note. The old fart that was with him has been a friend for many years and is a credible guy. He said he had a 48 Indian Chief back in the 50's. He gave it to his brother who cut the fender skirts off it to make it look cooler. They sold the bike to a fellow that restored it and they couldn't find the skirts at the time. Recently while cleaning out his shed he came across the skirts and asked me if anyone would be interested in them. I haven't seen how neatly they were removed, but he said he'd bring them by sometime. Is anyone interested in them? He thought he might have some spare parts for the bike stored in there, too. He didn't remember what, but he thought there was a box or two of spare parts in the shed somewhere.
Anyways, it was an interesting conversation. Those guys had me in stitches close to an hour. Made for an interesting afternoon. The older guy said he had a 53 Corvette and a Ford "retractible" stored with the bike. I've never heard of the Ford, but a first year Vette would be fun.
Curt!
<<

MarkBranst

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:40 pm

Re: Inline 4

Curt,

Sounds like absolute bull ... But, its October and a nice Fall drive couldn't hurt anything ... and there's always that tiny chance that it's on the level.

I'm guessing, when push comes to shove, you are going have a very hard time getting him to tie down a meeting time or place.

Best of luck!

Mark
<<

LarryP

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:03 pm

A retractable is a hardtop that disconnects from the windshield and slides back disappearing into the trunk, becoming a convertible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNrMPrH4 ... re=related
<<

Curt!

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:01 pm

WOW, that's pretty cool. I've never seen one of those. I would have thought he was bullshitting me except for the fact that I've known the guy that was with him quite a few years and he confirmed this guys dad was an attorney and one of the wealthiest men in the county. And he knew the guy had worked at the Chevy dealership from the mid 40s, to the early 60s. The timelines all fit. I think I will take a chance and press him on taking a look at them. If I find anything, I'll post some photos.
Curt!

Return to Indians