FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Affects of replicas on values??

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

weird

Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:28 pm

Hi JD,

Basic economic theory states that the value of anything is exactly equal to what someone is willing to pay for it.

An original stock knucklehead in excellent condition is probably worth more to a collector than the price of a new reproduction model.

However I doubt that anyone would give me the price of a new repo for my '47 chopped bike.

Also the person who wants an original bike probably has different values than the person who would buy a repo.

Therefore I don't think the value of the repo will have any signifigant effect on the value of the originals.
<<

HOOTER

Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:29 am

Markz
Tis an inside joke. Search the board to find out.
<<

JHDIronRide

Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:19 pm

Hey guys, hear ya on the USA parts, iguess try is key word here. thanks all for the input. like i say having the original speedo ,rear stand, tool box, was important for me. but like ya say certain parts had to go overseas, picked up fender light, not made here, but price difference, and fact that my searchs were coming up empty, were factor, plus gotta admit it is a very nice piece. and again like kurt said nuttin like the originals. Later JD
<<

TRUBRITT

Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:14 pm

What constitutes a replica as opposed to an
original? If you build a bike from parts
all made in the appropriate era but which
were never previously assembled is it a replica or an original?If you use enough repro parts on your original does it become
a replica,like Abe Lincolns axe? If Harley were to
start making 45s again would they be replicas
or originals?
Long as its good to ride does it matter?
<<

HOOTER

Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:13 pm

If the whole bike wasn't assembled on the original assembly line of the factory when the factory was producing that period bike I would consider it a replica. Take for instance the Enfield Bullit. They're not replicas because the company is still producing them, even tho they are an antiquated design.

HOOT
<<

JHDIronRide

Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:09 am

Hey all, Kurt you called it, it matters a lot,But in my opinion, agree with Conan, restored original , besides all the work involved, would hold more value, and not just personal. I would think for instance , if you picked up an all original basket, put her together, it would be an original. I know what ya saying about factory produced, but if lets say it was 1946 totally original,how could that be replica?? I know one thing, what I saw at Laconia is a replica.LOL
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:29 am

The corvvette guys say it ain't "original" if it don't have the air the factory put in the tires...I am never gonna be that anal, I am never gonna be that anal.....
<<

HOOTER

Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:11 pm

Time to clean the guns...the voices said.
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:40 pm

The Voices told me to change everything on my Vette as it wasn't capable of dangerous speeds and manuvers.
Dusty Dave
Previous

Return to 45 Flatties