Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions K-Models Sloppy Throttle

Sloppy Throttle

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Anybody know a good source for a quality throttle cable ? I'm turning almost a 1/4 turn before I get a response, the throttle appears good but the aftermarket control coil appears weak, I can stretch it like a spring, can't do that with the raggety oem one. any help appreciated, Tim
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335

Post Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:33 pm
Pa Site Admin

Have you tried contacting a piano wire supplier ? Not a joke, I am serious about this. Piano wire comes in many forms and gauges.

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:35 am

This may be another strange one, but hay bailing wire from a local farm store supplier might work. :D :D

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:43 am

Don't know about a Harley for sure but I get cables for My Indians at aircraft shops the small ones that work on Pipers Ect. Quite often what they are throwing away is better than I can get anywhere else.
Dusty

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:41 am

If it a solid wire like the WL throttle control,

Use a lawn mower throttle cable, take the solid wire out and use it.

I bet just about any hardware store would be able to assist.

George

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:46 am

The suspected problem is not the inner solid wire but the outer re-pop housing appears to be weaker than the original, too much flex or stretch, going to try to doctor the original if that doesn't work will try the lawn mower / aircraft idea , thanks, Tim
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335

Return to K-Models