FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Oil leak 1943 WLC

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

prairie dog

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:05 am

Oil leak 1943 WLC

I go my bike running this week, but I encountered a significant oil leak. A large amount of oil is coming out of the crankcase relief pipe and at the sprocket shaft. Where should I be looking to fix this?
<<

jib

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Re: Oil leak 1943 WLC

is your return pump working ,blocked or timed wrong ,is the gause in the camchest blocked ? take of the return line and see if oil is coning out .
have ridden my 43wlc 14 odd (some odder than others) and never had prob with oil from crank seal ,early ones were only a spiral ,but yours should be a lip seal.
regards jib
Dude, check out that jibhead, he's crazy. Hasn't been sober for 40 years
<<

RUBONE

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:45 pm

If the engine sumped it will do just as yours did. Did you check the oil level before starting? Had it dropped significantly? If so all the oil was in the lower end and upon starting will come out the places you mention!
Robbie
<<

prairie dog

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:12 pm

I opened up the gearcase and checked the timing on the return pump, it's OK. The crankcase strainer is not blocked. I tested the return pump and it's working. So I replaced all three springs and ball bearings in the oil feed pump, but it's still sumping. The oil level dropped overnight in the tank and when I operate the starter pedal oil is coming out the crankcase relief. Am I safe in assuming the oil pump is "toast" and will need replacing?
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:07 am

prairie dog wrote: Am I safe in assuming the oil pump is "toast" and will need replacing?

Not necessarily toast, but definitely in need of attention. Burnish the check ball seats. Install new springs and check balls per the book and you should notice major improvement.
<<

Limey_Dave

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:03 pm

I've never liked the idea of those burnish tools.Cotton,who was one of the first I think to use one,has since stopped using it.
He had a bit of the seat break away on a couple of pumps with very bad seats.
Get a length of tube or rod,and braze or silver solder a new ball to the end.Drill through a length of broom handle and glue it on the other end,to make like a valve grinding tool.
Strip the pump and clean it out.Mount it in soft jaws in the vice,and lap the seat with fine grinding paste.If you shine a light down the hole,you will see when the seating is cleaned up.Wash it all out,then give a final lap with a metal cleaning paste,or with what I use,which is toothpaste with cig ash mixed in.

Return to 45 Flatties