FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Linkert Trouble

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

choppertony

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:45 am

Linkert Trouble

I am adjusting a linkert M35 and I managed to get it work well on low speed. When I am starting to drive the MC and have the first gear in its going perfect but when it goes up to higher speed it feels like its getting weak in full throttle.Does anybody know what the problem can be?
My high speed needle is two turns out.

Best regards Tony
<<

Cotten

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:13 am

Re: Linkert Trouble

Tony!

Most tuning concerns start at the manifold; Did you bubble-test?

Problems within the carb that confound the low to highspeed transition are a venturi with daylight around it,
DAYLIGHT.jpg
and/or excessive wear into the carb bore from the throttle disc.
eyebrow.jpg

Good luck,

....Cotten
<<

choppertony

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Thank you for the info. Picture number two is how my linkert looks inside. I havent done any bubble test but I have bought new clamps and gaskets.
I have orderd an insulator plate that I will put on as soon as it comes, right now I use 5 gaskets.
<<

Cotten

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 pm

Choppertony!

Beware that even with the proper insulator and gaskets, the carb and manifold flanges are prone to fastener distortion.
Both should be arbitrarily ground flat.

Here is is the disastrous result of over-torquing, so please use no more than 13 ft-lbs.
JWCARBF.jpg

.....Cotten
<<

choppertony

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:35 am

Thank you for the tips cotten. I did as you told me and even the surface and I dint tighten the bolts so hard. I have now mounted an insulator plate on the linkert and now when I start the bike it works much better on high and low speed. But sure it poofs when I am too fast with the gas but maybe you shouldnt ask so much from an old linkert that are about 70 years old :D
<<

Cotten

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:49 am

choppertony wrote:Thank you for the tips cotten. I did as you told me and even the surface and I dint tighten the bolts so hard. I have now mounted an insulator plate on the linkert and now when I start the bike it works much better on high and low speed. But sure it poofs when I am too fast with the gas but maybe you shouldnt ask so much from an old linkert that are about 70 years old :D
You bubble-tested too?

....Cotten
<<

choppertony

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:08 am

No I havent. How do you do the bubble test?
<<

Cotten

Post Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:00 pm

choppertony wrote:No I havent. How do you do the bubble test?
Choppertony!

You need a regulated air supply, and a #9 stopper with a hole through it:
http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

Good luck!

....Cotten
<<

choppertony

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:16 am

I was lookin trough my bruce palmer book and I noticed that the throttle disc in my linkert is wrong. The disk that I use now is from a M-74B and it has an angel of 9 degrees X and the disc that the M35 shall have has an angel of 12 degrees.Can that have any effect on the low speed?
<<

Cotten

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:33 am

choppertony wrote:I was lookin trough my bruce palmer book and I noticed that the throttle disc in my linkert is wrong. The disk that I use now is from a M-74B and it has an angel of 9 degrees X and the disc that the M35 shall have has an angel of 12 degrees.Can that have any effect on the low speed?
Tony!

It has a minor effect, but not as much as wear into the bore from a disc will cause.

With the idle screw backed out, the disc should close with a minimal amount of daylight around it.

....Cotten
<<

choppertony

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:31 am

Okey Thanks :)

Return to Pans