FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

"distributor/spark advance " no rotation

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

flathead1943

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:30 pm

"distributor/spark advance " no rotation

My Chief died on the side of the road tonight . Felt like no spark ,after troubleshooting i had still full voltage, and power at the points but notice that my distributor/spark advance no longer rotates. I will invistigate tomorrow but was just curious if i'm heading in the right direction by suspecting a sheared pin that hold the gear ??? Is this a flaw on the chiefs ( excuse my lack of expertise ) or one of those things that just happen :? .. Thanks ahead guys Frank
<<

flathead1943

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Re: "distributor/spark advance " no rotation

Ok Had some free time tonight and started on the chief. Took the distributor off and its fine turns freely. Drain the oil and went as far as to remove the oil pump, and it aslo turns freely. When i hand crank the bike the oil pump drive gear is not turning but i can hear the engine compression in and out ,so its further in the cam set ot something in there. I will remove the exhaust tomorrow,and pull the side cover off ( that will be a first for me). G :( o figure i start my holiday tomorrow and the chief craps out. Hope its nothing to serious in there. Anyone else sen these symptoms before ??? Thanks
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:40 am

Sounds like it sheared the key in the crank gear. be sure that the gear is a light press when you replace the key. If not I have had good sucess grinding a key out of tool steel from a old lathe bit to get by untill the next rebuild when the gear fits too loose.
Dusty
<<

flathead1943

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:02 pm

Right on the mark bro ,there is also a 1 thou shim thats also dammage will have to replace it but really nothing more then a piss off for a 50 cent parts all labour really. (good practice) Any experience builder here is this a normal thing to happen on chief or plain bad luck . The gear key way slot is in great shape i would say the gear is brand new :P
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:05 pm

If the gear is a light to medium press fit and you torque it correctly they never shear. Usually only see sheared keys when the gear is a loose fit on the pinion shaft. If it is a hammer fit dont drive it on as you may realign the flywheels in ways you don't like! Get a press tool or make one. I just use a set of nuts ground to where they will fit through the bore with a piece of tubing and a washer welded on top then another nut to turn it with. I start with a long one then progressively shorter untill it is in place. Like I said before if the gear fits loose make a key out of tool steel and locktite it.
Dusty
<<

flathead1943

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:31 pm

I will buy a key way and see about the fit ,if its nothing but perfect i rather make my own to tell you the truth.thanks for the loctite tip :mrgreen:
<<

flathead1943

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Ok got my parts from Greer and i'm ready to put it back together. I'm running a battery so i only have 3 gears. I have time 2 of them but the i need to remove the rear cam off the cover. Is the gear nut regular or left hand thread my manual doesn't say. Aslo i have locktite the keyway and its an awesome fit not too tight or too loose. Also was is the torque on that left hand nut on the oil pump drive gear ??? Thanks alot to all the pro's ou there ,its sometime frustrating having to ask but one as to start somewhere. Frank

Return to Indians