FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Belt drive oiler issue

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

h.d.ryder

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:17 am

Belt drive oiler issue

Hello,I know this has probably been posted before but after searching I can`t find anything on the topic.
Anyway ,I want to install a primary belt on my 47 FL .Can I re-route the primary chain oiler into a "T" fitting to the crankcase vent that goes to oil tank.I`m running an "O"-ring rear chain ,so I don`t need to re-route oiler to rear chain.
Thanks in advance.
<<

fhsmith1

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:53 am

Re: Belt drive oiler issue

h.d.ryder
I am running a primary belt on my 46FL as well as a 42U. Both have the primary chain oiler plugged. The FL plug is behind the oil pump before any oil gets in the breather system. I also modified the breather fitting where it goes through the inner primary to exit outside the primary housing between the primary and engine. I used a 5/8" hose and routed it through a small breather filter near the rear wheel. The FL has worked well about 15000 miles.The 42U plug is under the gear-case cover with a larger plug where the oiler fitting goes through the inner primary. The U model breather doesn't go through the primary.

Hope this helps
F
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi FLHSMITH1 ,That sounds like a great fix. I`ll do that in the winter ,but for now ,is it possible to T into the crankcase vent. If not ,I`ll pull the oil pump and do it properly.
Thanks.
<<

RUBONE

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:40 am

NO, You cannot tee it into the oil tank. The crankcase breather needs to vent to the atmosphere. The oil tank vent equalizes pressure in the tank and cases allowing the oil to feed, The crankcase breather is TIMED to the rising and falling of the pistons and breathes both directions, allowing the oil to scavenge and the pistons to move freely without compressing air below them. If you tie them together neither system will work properly. Re-direct your primary breather to the back of the transmission and let it blow on the chain. Exactly as the factory routed it from the mid '60s on!
Robbie
<<

fhsmith1

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:28 pm

h.d.ryder
What RUBONE said!

If you want to cut down on the oil going into the breather system most oil pumps have an adjustment screw. Only problem is most of them by now have been overtightened and are all screwed up. If you already have the belt system and Oring chain you might as well go ahead and do it right. Just my thoughts.
F
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks F.
I`ve already tried turning down the flow ,but no go.I`ll eventally get all these oily issues sorted out.
Cheers!

Return to Knuckles