FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Affects of replicas on values??

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

JHDIronRide

Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:06 pm

Affects of replicas on values??

Hey all, got question for you guys, I was at Laconia and saw one of the new-old Knuck replicas, besides th fact that the tank had knuckle head logo, these bikes look like the real deal. How do you think these will affect the values of our old iron?? seems they could start making replicas of pans, flattys ect..old look new parts. JD
<<

JHDIronRide

Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:13 pm

Hey Kurt, agree cant replace the originals. but, the knuck I saw at laconia, was real sharp bike, set up was all old style, and as far as being swiped, I think in heart beat, never mind wrecking em. guy told me he paid around 15Gs for his!! these dont look like they lose much value either. christ from across road look like real deal. just figured might have adverse affect on our bikes, dime a dozen kinda thing.
<<

motor mike

Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:55 am

The AMCA does look at the VIN #'s for originality and the engine # MUST be the same year as the frame.
<<

Admin

Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:19 am

Hi JHD,
I really hope that it doesn´t come as a total surprise to see a brand new Knuck bike. I built the first one in -98 here in Sweden and there are several builders in the US. Check out the Customer Bike´s and Dealers Bikes pages on this site.
<<

JHDIronRide

Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:22 am

Ya Mike, I aint saying that these new ones would compete as our old Iron, for originality ect... I was just thinking that if they gonna make em look like our old iron,yet have modern components, would that some how devalue ours?? old new flatty, or knuck ect...hear what Kurts saying far as replacing parts. but new ones just have old Look, and very close from what i saw, all modern inside, S&S lower end. think top was sweden flathead,some shit. are they making 45 Replicas now?? one I saw was knuck. JD
<<

JHDIronRide

Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:29 am

Ya ok , I had heard about building em, but had never seen one in flesh. that knuck I saw, sounded and looked great. he had it set up completely old style, I didnt know they came with foot clutch, spark advance ect.. pics I saw just had the knuck motor. JD
<<

JIm

Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:28 am

They probably wont have much of an effect on the original. Original is more sot after. Take for example repop parts. You can get a lot of different good repop parts for a good price but people still pay a lot more for original. One effect it might have would be that some people might try to pass them off to un-knowing types as origianl on certain E-auctions. It is already happening with some of the aftermarket parts. One of my friends and has been burned a couple of times.

Jim
<<

JHDIronRide

Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:51 am

Hear ya their Jim, had a buddy, pick up 48-52 speedo, had been looking long while, the bastard he bought off, rigged up the face to look original, primed out the body to cover, old timer took peek, said yup you got geniune made in taiwan!! but thats why i asked the question, trying to get my bike as correct as with in reason. got lot original parts hanging on mine, and like you say aint cheap, but worth in long run. My opinion, the original speedos on old iron are the most important, cosmetically speakin. I had a repop when bought mine, what a difference when found an original. aint nuttin like it. JD
<<

JIm

Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:17 am

When buying parts you can't put in your hands and look at before you buy it. Ask as many questions as you can. If the seller is honest they should not get pissed at you. If they do then I figure something is wrong with either the part or them. Also try to get a guaranty that the part is what they say it is. If they wont then don't buy it. To many people are out just to make as much as they can and don't care if they screw somebody.

Jim
<<

motor mike

Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:36 am

Back to AMCA judging, good quality repro parts are totally accepted in judging. They will credit a bike more for a new shiny part compared to an original with very little imperfection from my own experience, which I feel is wrong. Myself I can't see paying boocoo bucks for an original when you can buy a quality repop for a 1/4 of the price or less. And they do pass the AMCA judging. Hoping this will bring the price of restorable original pieces back to reallity
<<

JHDIronRide

Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:01 pm

Mike, didnt know they judged that way, if bike is original, then i would say, that should be judged way ahead of repop. and difference in value. I agree about prices. look at rear stands,repops are for looks only,cant use em. and pay c-note for em. buck fifty to 2 bills for orginal. I guess it all depends on how original and your money take ya. mine is mixed bag, the original stuff is obviously for value and personal look, and also keep as rider. I try to buy USA made parts, new or old if i can. JD
<<

HOOTER

Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:32 pm

VTwin is absolutely Famous for giving you a choice of American or imported parts and then when you order the American part, it's made in taiwan. They're very consistent that way.

HOOT
<<

Markz

Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:55 pm

For me going the replica route is the only logical way. It made sense to cut my teeth on something that looked like the bikes that I fancy rather than fumbling my way through a restoration and leave the valuable authentic bikes (howerver many are left) to the guys that have way more experience, talent, etc. It has been fun so far. You guys should be happy that this avenue is available for the guys that want these types of bikes. Makes you wonder how many guys such as myself went the other route and mess up a salvageable bike.

Hey Hooter,
Whats your beef with plummers?

Markz
<<

Admin

Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:04 pm

Markz, please leave anything that has to do
with plumbers outta this forum. The server will go to hell if we start that over again.
This has nothing to do with plumbers in general, just some pipebenders......&8o}
<<

weird

Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:28 pm

Hi JD,

Basic economic theory states that the value of anything is exactly equal to what someone is willing to pay for it.

An original stock knucklehead in excellent condition is probably worth more to a collector than the price of a new reproduction model.

However I doubt that anyone would give me the price of a new repo for my '47 chopped bike.

Also the person who wants an original bike probably has different values than the person who would buy a repo.

Therefore I don't think the value of the repo will have any signifigant effect on the value of the originals.
<<

HOOTER

Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:29 am

Markz
Tis an inside joke. Search the board to find out.
<<

JHDIronRide

Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:19 pm

Hey guys, hear ya on the USA parts, iguess try is key word here. thanks all for the input. like i say having the original speedo ,rear stand, tool box, was important for me. but like ya say certain parts had to go overseas, picked up fender light, not made here, but price difference, and fact that my searchs were coming up empty, were factor, plus gotta admit it is a very nice piece. and again like kurt said nuttin like the originals. Later JD
<<

TRUBRITT

Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:14 pm

What constitutes a replica as opposed to an
original? If you build a bike from parts
all made in the appropriate era but which
were never previously assembled is it a replica or an original?If you use enough repro parts on your original does it become
a replica,like Abe Lincolns axe? If Harley were to
start making 45s again would they be replicas
or originals?
Long as its good to ride does it matter?
<<

HOOTER

Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:13 pm

If the whole bike wasn't assembled on the original assembly line of the factory when the factory was producing that period bike I would consider it a replica. Take for instance the Enfield Bullit. They're not replicas because the company is still producing them, even tho they are an antiquated design.

HOOT
Next

Return to 45 Flatties