FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

BTSV lube mods

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

kansasplowboy

Post Tue May 01, 2012 10:00 pm

BTSV lube mods

Hello all, I'm new to this forum but came searching for the latest on what upgrades to make to a 37ULH oiling system to improve reliability and longevity. Have read about the piston squirters and also the newer pump coming from overseas. I'm rebuilding my engine at present and would like to do it right. I'm not a fast, hard rider but temps here in Western KS can sometime get pretty warm. Don't want to reinvent the wheel so I'm asking for input on the best way to improve cooling and lube at a reasonable amount of investment.
Thanks,
kansasplowboy
<<

Frankenstein

Post Thu May 03, 2012 5:07 pm

Re: BTSV lube mods

Well, step right up young man, and we'll give you an education!
Here's a link to the complete story on converting to the sporty pump:
http://www.dicklinn.webs.com/
Briefly, my contention is that the BTSV's do get too hot, at least these days, and more oil used to cool the pistons can help prolong engine life. The sporty pump delivers 12 times the oil of the stock vane pump.
The gerotor pumps are available from overseas currently. Moldthread, a poster on this board, is currently working on a version as well. It should be available soon, I'm told.
Do a search on the webboard, and you'll see alot of discussion on the topic.
I just had a lively discussion on flathead oiling and the need for any modifications with a fellow flathead enthusiast at Oley last weekend. I'll only say we differed in opinion :-)
DD

Return to Big Twin Flatties