Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Morthodites-"Non Factory" 45 OHV conversion

45 OHV conversion

Built something weird, one-off or want to? Ask or tell us about it here.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:02 pm
I just wanted to show a few pictures of my 45", OHV conversion I finished awhile ago. I went a different route than the standard Magnum conversion, opting for an exposed valvetrain. My favorite model is the Harley DAH. Since I will probably never own one, I figured I'd mix some ideas I had together, spend three years on it and, here ya go!!

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:06 pm
Can anyone tell me how to add more than one picture at a time?
finish 1.JPG

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:17 pm
Some of the parts are:
T&O flywheels
Sportster rods
Andrews R5 cams
Sportster heads and cylinders
Linkert M53A1
Wico XV1922 magneto
WR narrow tanks
WLDR oil tank
Multi-year fornt end, VL RL J parts
Finned aluminum brake drum rings
finish 9.JPG

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Great job. Are the rocker shafts supported in bronze bushes or needle rollers?

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:01 pm
They are stock rocker arms with bronze flange bearings in them. The shafts have a tube over them so the brackets can't be over tightened, pinching the rockers.

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:24 am

awesome work and result, if you want to do another you can do my servicar

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:56 am

Obviously, the engine work is the real deal, but the bike is also gorgeous. Really like the two-tone blue paint!

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Just OUTSTANDING!! Man,really cool,what a super job.Fantastic,Amazing,how does it run? THANKS for sharing your work,very inspirational. :D :D

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:30 pm
Thanks for the compliments! It runs great and has a huge amount of torque! I have to keep reminding myself to take it easy on the poor little transmission. I'm sure it would not take much to peel it open. I did use one of the new european reproduction transmission cases, hoping for better quality aluminum from todays metalurgy, but was disappointed in the machining. I think all I gained was less money in my pocket!!!

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:41 pm

Absolutely glorious! I would love to see a YouTube video of her running!

Post Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:44 pm
I'll work on a video. If anyone is going to Oley, I'm going to bring it.

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:35 pm

looks great . how are the rocker arm/pushrod sockets lubricated . see you have grease nipples for the shafts .regards jib
Dude, check out that jibhead, he's crazy. Hasn't been sober for 40 years

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:44 pm

I love how you referred to the "standard magnum conversion"! If a 45 Magnum is standard, your motor is pure exotica. Drool worthy. I would be interested in some elaboration on the 4spd euro tranny. I was considering one until your comment. Could you make a critique of it with your observations/concerns with the unit?

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:47 pm

Ooops! I just assumed you used the 4spd tranny but actually I don't know. Still curious, though.

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:16 pm
Scaryguy- My transmission is still a three speed. I only bought the case. I found two minor and one major problems as I built the transmission. The lid screws were 12-24 instead of the 10-24 they were originally (no big deal). There was one of the lid screws that was incorrectly located. I welded it up and re-drilled/tapped it (OK, mistakes happen). The last one was the distance between the shift cam shaft and the shift arm gear. They were .050" too close together!!!! And to top it all off, installing the shift gear is one of the last steps, so it all had to come apart again to fix it.
I did not buy the four speed for several reasons. One, too expensive. Two, untested. Three, The HP the bike puts out will most likely ruin the trans at some point, I figured I would ruin the cheaper, easier to get parts. I do not believe fourth gear was any higher a ratio then third was in the three speed. Its only benefit was smaller "steps" between gears. That would benefit the stock 45", but with close to four times the HP in my engine, I don't need it.

Jib- Yes, grease from the zerks is how the rockers are lubricated.

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:44 am

Wow, It's beautiful. I also have loved the DAH since I first saw one in person. I bought a WR motor from an old racer back in the early 70's. The motor was in his basement in Springfield, MA where he also had a DAH. He would not sell it. He did let me sit on it, which was awesome. When I lived in NM there was a guy who had a couple in his collection just North of Santa Fe. Prettiest HD ever.

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:56 pm

fascinating bike - tell us about the frame?
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:09 pm
The frame started out with a raked neck and a bent rear section.

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:15 pm
I found a donor (stock) neck, and replaced both it, the backbone and the tube above the engine. In the photo you can see ho much material has to be removed under the seat post casting. I also drilled out the neck and added the rear stabilizer bars, like the WR frames.

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:56 pm
Pa Site Admin

You have one beautiful creation there !! Both as eye candy and engineering.

Return to Morthodites-"Non Factory"