FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

A Special Knucklehead

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:06 am

A Special Knucklehead

For those of you who may have never seen this bike, I thought many of you would enjoy these pics. And.....for those of you who remember Clark Cable, the actor, as you know, Clark was a great actor, pilot, and bike rider. Though the pics are not the best due to the Packard, Warren, Ohio Museums lighting, they still depict an era of the real down to earth Clark Gable. The museum holds many early bikes on display at present, with numerous manufacturers represented. Generous display donations come from folks all over. Some displays are temporary and others are permanent. This museum houses all years of the fantastic Packard automobile as well. Presently on display, as well as the bikes and Packard cars, are early model electric cars. Some dating back as early as the late 1800.s. I noted several changes to Clark’s Knucklehead from comparing the actual bike to the photographs with Clark on it. I assume Clark himself may have did many of those himself or the present owner as well. That is just speculation on my part though. If you get a chance to visit the packard museum in Warren, Ohio, by all means do so.

<<

45Brit

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:35 am

Re: A Special Knucklehead

Gable probably owned more than one bike over time. It may not be the same bike at all. It may have been restored. Look at the number of bikes attributed as being "the Fonz' Triumph" and how different they look.

Mind you, I do like the black-and-white colour scheme. I only hope it goes as well as it looks, although I doubt it.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:31 am

It definately was Clark's Knucklehead because the owner received the title with Clark's name upon it.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:21 pm

If I remember the story correctly that was Clark's Knuck from his Florida home. He also had homes in LA and other places with motorcycles at each of them.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:44 pm

One story on this bike I heard was on how it was aquired. The story went something like this. The bike was sitting covered in dirt and dust and the seller let it go to the lucky buyer for peanuts. The story also noted the bike was purchased not to far from the museum where I took the pics at. I believe they said it was bought in Sharon, Pennsylvania. I hear Sharon was noted for the start of the Warner Brothers film producers and Clark may have been originally from there as well. Anyhow...back to the story...Once the buyer had agreed to purchase the bike, he discovered the title....which was stored in one of the saddlebags....had Clark's name on it. I am sure there are many more accounts of the sale and purchase. I just find the existance of the bike in my neck of the woods a real treat
<<

Beachdog

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks Pa for posting these pics. I've been trying to decide between black or white for a '42 FL rider. Now I know what I'm going to do. I really like the way this looks. I've seen those old Clark Gable pics many times over the years and never really noticed the paint job. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Return to Knuckles