FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

EL Bonnie Knuck and the Salt

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:43 pm

EL Bonnie Knuck and the Salt

Great knews for the world of Knuckleheads : S&S Cycle/FHP and Lee's Speed Shop http://www.leesspeedshop.com/ have agreed to sponsor EL Bonnie Knuck for an attempt at a Land Speed Record at the BUB Speed Trials to be held at the Bonneville Salt Flats on August 25-30th. Joe Taylor and I are members of the Buell Brothers Racing Team. Our bike is a 1939 EL . We will be racing it in the Partially Streamlined Vintage class. Look for regular updates here.
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:24 pm

Re: EL Bonnie Knuck and the Salt

Excellent!!
Dusty
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:34 pm

Good luck John. I hope you do well. :)
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:44 am

Chris Haynes wrote:Good luck John. I hope you do well. :)

Double Ditto John !! :D
<<

Curt!

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:31 am

Great! Best of luck, my friend!
Curt!
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:26 am

I should have some images of El Bonnie Knuck very soon. Joe and Santa Claus aka Tom Anderson are busy in the Buell Bros. shop at Siren. They are currently building forms for the fiberglass fairing and fenders. Lee has the motor cases and is waiting for parts delivery from S&S. I can't wait to hear the sound of 61 cubic inches breathing through twin carbs !
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:09 am

Just a couple of images to share. Joe and Tom spent much of the last month laying up fiberglass body parts for the various Buell Bros Racing Team bikes. Here is Joe with the front fender for EL Bonnie Knuck.
Joe and Tom attended the 25th Donnie Smith bike show in St. Paul last Sunday. While there, they met up with sponsor and our motor builder Lee Wickstrom. Joe and Lee are shown here with Lee's Knuckledragger.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:35 am

Lee Wickstrom got in touch to say that he received a shipment of internal motor parts for El Bonnie Knuck from S&S last week. Joe sent this image of the mocked up chasiss. Joe & Tom are hard at work laying up fiberglass for the various pieces of streamlining that will slip the bike thru the air. No promises here, but we are hoping to have the bike far enough along to share it at the Knuckle Shuffle on June 2 http://www.theknuckleshuffle.com/
<<

Early Iron Motorcycles

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:54 am

Hi John, the bike's looking good so far, so your going to the Knuckleshuffle, are you going to be going to the vintage drag race at Eddyville Iowa this Aug.?
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Mark,
Obviously there is a conflict of interest between Bub and The Eddyville Vinatge drags for me ! I plan to pit for Lee at Eddyville. Then provided El Bonnie Knuck is on the ground and ready to run, I'll fly to to Salt Lake City on Sunday or Monday, rent a car and on to Bonneville. After 17 years of running at Bonneville, the Buell Bros. Have learned that it is not always a good idea to struggle to make the first pass on the opening day of the meet, so at this point I don't feel too bad about missing Sunday and part of Monday.
<<

Early Iron Motorcycles

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:10 am

John, are you going to bring black Betty to Eddyville? my son is working on his 103" shovel so we hope to be there with it. my fuel Knuck is no where's near ready for this year but we hope to have it ready for next year. Eric is thinking of maybe going to the race and bring some FHP parts.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:33 am

Mark,
I had some bad luck with Black Betty. I ran her on the Rochester HD dyno last fall. Got less than stellar numbers. Pulled the Eagle Motor Company blower down during the winter. It was trashed ( gears and rotors shot ). I'm currently chasing Frank Bao's son around trying to get him to sell me replacement parts. Been trying since Jan. Thus far no luck. So at this point it looks like I'm reduced to pitting for Lee ( that is if he'll have me ! )
<<

Lee W

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:12 pm

John, We will be happy to have you pitting for us. My wife is particularly happy since she never did much care for the pressure of helping to start a drag bike. Thanks for bringing it up, cause it reminded me that I still need to get some fresh clutch plates since last time out you and I had to hunt for a flat piece of concrete to scuff them on after smoking the clutch more than the tire on its first pass.

As for the EL Bonnie motor, I am very anxious to get started on it. Just have a couple jobs I need to get out of the way first ...
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:22 am

The excitement builds ! The first day of racing at the BUB Speed Trials is Sunday August 26. Joe has the El Bonnie Knuck chassis complete and ready for the motor. As soon as I get the call from Lee, I'll become the Winged Foot Express and make delivery of our motor to Joe up in Siren. Fairbault Harley Davidson has been very generous ( like S&S and Lee Wickstrom ). We have been given Dyno time for tuning . I'll have images to share very soon !

BTW ..... Speaking of images, here is a somewhat little known source for S&S related racing stuff http://info.sscycle.com/performance-times/bid/77262/
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:32 am

It's been a hectic couple of weeks ! Lee finished up the motor and I picked it up Monday at his shop in Savage, Minnesota. From there it was up to make the delivery at Gunner's Cycle Shop in Webster , Wisconsin. ( 560 miles on monday ! ) where Joe and Terry have been hard at work building the fairing. It was to be painted on Monday. I'm now waiting for Joe to call saying that we are ready for dyno tuning down at Fairbault HD. The Buell Bros team truck/trailer will head out for the Salt on Tuesday. I hope to post some video of our dyno runs. Stay tuned !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by john k. endrizzi on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:01 pm

This is exciting John. I will definately follow this thread as it unwinds ! :D
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:00 am

It's right down to the wire ! The motor is in the frame, the exhaust system is freshly built , primary and oil lines hooked up. As of 6:48 AM , the motor has yet to be fired. I had expected to drive over to Fairbault, Minnesota to meet Joe and Lee for dyno testing when the bike is done. Not sure if that will happen as my back has taken a shit. Rather than punish it further by doing a 425 mile ride , I'll baby it in hopes that ii will be good to go next Sat when I fly out to Salt Lake City. Mean while here is a little something from the S&S Performance Times :
http://info.sscycle.com/performance-tim ... log_Email_[Bonneville%20Racer%20Pro]
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:18 pm

I spoke with Joe this AM. They fired the motor last night for the first time. They did several heat cycles before retiring. Sadly there was no one there to record any of this. Bad news : Joe called Jason at Fairbault HD to see about trailering El Bonnie Knuck down for Dynoing on Monday and was told that the dyno took a shit on Friday. Parts won't be in 'til Tuesday when the wagon train will be headed west to Bonneville. I called my friend Pat Lehman over in Rochester, Minnesota. Pat runs the Performance shop at Rochester HD. He volunteered to come in Monday ( his day off ) to dyno our bike ! Now there's another great act of Brotherhood ! Thanks Pat. BTW Pat has a very cool lightning fast 1939 WLDD. If he happens to ride it over for the dyno runs, I'll post images of it.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:26 pm

The saga just gets more exciting as it materializes !!! Love the Brotherhood !!
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:13 am

It was a long day for the Buell Bros. yesterday! Joe ,Terry , Julie & Lee Wickstrom met me at Rochester HD, where Pat Lehman was waiting to dyno our bike. As is often the case with a fresh build, there were a couple of speed bumps. Lack of a tachometer and the inability of the dyno to read the spark signal trashed the Torque and Horsepower readings. Those numbers are not of value other than for bragging rights of course. After making several runs , we got the carbs dialed in for jetting at Rochester elevation ( 1140 feet above sea level ). This will give us a baseline to use at Bonneville where the elevation is 4237 feet. Gearing seems to be in the ball park. We took the bike up to just under 140 mph and there was more there ! Today will be spent packing the truck and trailer. Joe, Terry and Santa Claus will head out tomorrow morning. I will join the other members of the Buell Bros Racing Team on the Salt Sat for Tech with racing to begin on Sunday. With tonight as the exception, the weather in Wendover is forecast to be calm, hot and clear thru next Monday. So at this point all indications are GO !
The images of Pat's 39WLDD will be of special interest to PA. Pat got the bike from his father who started the build many years ago. Ted handed the bike bike down to Pat some yeras bac. However he had his hand in helping with the build. The stock 45 frame has avery cool 4130 steel tranny mount that accepts a big twin 4 speed. The Dual carbs and porting work make this little 45 a true 100 mile an hour creature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Next

Return to Knuckles