FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Rubber mounts

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

celticdodge

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Rubber mounts

Now I am not familiar with these new rubber mounted Harley motors but was wondering what it might take to build a rubber mounted 45,any ideas ,comments on building ? :D :D
<<

RUBONE

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: Rubber mounts

One thing to keep in mind is that all rubber mount systems have the entire driveline isolated from the main frame in order to preserve chain or belt alignment. So unless you intend to build a swing arm 45 or build a sectional frame it would be a difficult endeavor with little chance of success. On rubber mount bikes the trans bolts to the engine and the swingarm pivots off the trans to let it all move at once, much like a Norton Commando. Other than sorting that out , no big deal! :mrgreen:
Robbie
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:46 am

Re: Rubber mounts

you can do one of two things - mount the engine, drive train and swing-arm on a subframe, like a Norton Commando, or mount the engine on rubbers like a car. I don't see why this wouldn't work with Harley style mountings, which are like a car anyway. Most such mountings have snubbers of various descriptions. You could use a belt drive to take up the flex.

I don't really see why that would be worth the effort on a 45, though, they are sweet little things.... Commandos had a very mixed reputation back in the day, for the constant maintenance and adjustment they needed and the results if this wasn't done. Then again, I'd think that a 45 with those rubber-mounted risers, well-worn pogo seat and low-pressure 5.00 x 16" wheels would wander about as well as any Commando...
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Return to Morthodites-"Non Factory"