FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WLA hand clutch

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

handshifter

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:56 pm

WLA hand clutch

Trying to plan a setup where a WLA bobber will be running a trike foot clutch pedal with tank shift and a second clutch cable going to a hand clutch on the bars.
Wondering if any of the builders here have done this setup and/or have any great ideas.

I saw this on a race bike once where there was two clutch cables, but it was long ago and i forgot how it was built.
<<

RUBONE

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:02 pm

Re: WLA hand clutch

H-D did it themselves for the Canadian military WLC models. They also offered a kit for a few years after the war. The cable attaches with a pivot at the hole in the clutch actuating arm below the slot for the foot cable. It requires MUCH effort and was basically just to allow feet down in gear on rough terrain/hills etc. The foot pedal was used once the bike was in motion.
Robbie
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:24 pm

A few of us members, including myself, have deviled in a hydraulic driven one while utilizing the oem wlc hand clutch components. The cylinder would be a brake master cylinder type mounted near the gearbox area. Nothing has been perfected as of yet.
<<

barry

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:28 pm

some of us(including me) ran the hand clutch setup running the ahrma circuit. it was a harley option and therefore allowed in the class c racing.we used it for taking off from the line then using the foot clutch for shifting.easy to setup using homemade or factory parts.
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:07 am

There's a thread about this somewhere. I can't see why it wouldn't work but the lever geometry would need working out correctly. I'd guess that the best combination would be Big Twin lever and cable and a modified actuating arm
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Beachdog

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:23 am

http://www.amp-research.com/products/mo ... ch-assist/
I'm looking at using this set up with a B & H shifter to eliminate the need for a booster on a street ride.
<<

jib

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:17 pm

had the wlc ,set up working on my wlc .

best for pulling away on hills and in traffic so as to allow finer throttle control and use of the rear brake whilst the left foot was on or hovvering over the ground.

my general usage ,comprised of slowing down disengaging clutch with foot ( suicide not harley friction disc type) ,then holding clutch disengaged with the handlebar lever , the clutch foot could then be safley put on floor ,whist remaining in gear.

good for fast get aways . regards jib.

p.s sometimes wish still had this set up as ,still run the suicide lever and its a pain on hills with no front brake.
Dude, check out that jibhead, he's crazy. Hasn't been sober for 40 years
<<

RUBONE

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Stock set-up!
Robbie
<<

45Brit

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:51 am

There is certainly a problem with having a tank shift and a hand clutch on the same side. Older British bikes with right-side hand-change were sometimes ridden by making a "cross-over change" without using the clutch, but this was for changing on the move - you can't engage from neutral in that manner.

I don't really see any sufficient reason why the WL clutch would need a booster if the lever geometries were correct

I did look at having a suicide clutch on my 45 Ariel project but in the end I didn't, mainly because it would have left me with the problems of a cross-over brake and gear linkages, and I couldn't see the justification for that amount of work.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Return to 45 Flatties