FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Fake Oldie ... :-)

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

milwaukee belle

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:27 am

Fake Oldie ... :-)

Hello all ! :D
this is a link to see something which ( i hope ) will interress you just a bit :?
actually building Kinda BoardTracker with a ShovelHead Motor .
My main Goal is to build a frame the most lookin'like to a true old frame ; with all the castings and the "slash-cuts" we all love on our beloved 45' frames .
i do the best i can with all i have at the workshop :?

i build the castings one by one , assembling small parts .
the tubings will be tack-welded in the same way we can see it on the PanHead frames ...
and at last : i will braze all the joints :D between castings and tubings .

Okay-Okay !
all this is nothing else than fake ( keep relax ! i know it 8) )
anyway : that's really a COOL job ! and i am proud of it . ( always the same story : 50% restoration and 50% custom : my Way-Of-Life !)
maybe you will like it ? who Knows ...
maybe this will give you some idéas , will help you ?

keep posted !
i add new pics each day .

http://milwaukeebelle.blogspot.com/

P.S : sorry for my bad slang :cry: on the blog !
Last edited by milwaukee belle on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

servi53

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Re: Fake Oldie ... :-)

love your design idea, keep us posted on progress
servi53
<<

celticdodge

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:13 am

Far out ! Man. I'm loving it,by the way has any ever put a big twin in a 45 frame.? :D :D
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:01 am

think :

a 45' Frame is already not enough strong for a 45' Motor :( it breacks .
when there's a WR inside :? you have to add reinforcement rear struts ....and that's Not yet enough .

a Big-Twin inside ?
forget it .

anyway : there's not enough room : you have to modify ( deeply ) the frame . ( so bad to cut it ! :cry: )

the one i am building on the Blog has all tubing Diameters XXL-Increased !
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:29 am

frame is Okay .

i start to build the oil and gas tanks now .

WR Spirit ! :D
<<

celticdodge

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:19 am

Hey Milwaukee Bell,I have some questions about your design,
1.)It looks like the center of rotation of the motor , transmission and the rear wheel are in line .Is there a theory that is established indicating this would give the best handling .If yes,would a bike handle even better if the center of rotation of the both wheels ,motor,and transmission were in line?
To me it seems that the lower you can mount the heavy motor, the weight of the bike is easier to control in the curves and that you would want to keep the weight of the transmission as close to the ground also for good handling but may have to compromise and raise it like you did to be able to have clearance when leaning over hard in a curve .
2.) I suspect the diameter of the wheels may also have an impact on control in the curves,and may be tied into this theory related to the center of all rotational components being in line (if there is one ,I don't know).
Let me know what you think,I am always wanting to learn and relearn what I have forgotten.I say relearn because this discussion seems somewhat familiar but sadly my memory isn't what it used to be. Great project,I would love to build one similar.Thanks for sharing your build, your work is always very inspirational. :D :D
<<

45Brit

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:53 am

Having the crankshaft, clutch and rear wheel sprocket in a single plane is the best case for balancing the drive loads in the transmission. There was at one time a racing conversion for the Big Twin which had the effect of raising the gearbox ( I think about 40mm ) to achieve this, for the same reason.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:14 pm

45Brit wrote:Having the crankshaft, clutch and rear wheel sprocket in a single plane is the best case for balancing the drive loads in the transmission. There was at one time a racing conversion for the Big Twin which had the effect of raising the gearbox ( I think about 40mm ) to achieve this, for the same reason.

The raised gearbox was to give more ground clearance for the clutch so you could corner tighter.
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:54 am

yes Chris : it is true ,
but the MAIN reason to do that is what said 45 Brit . it is a "mechanical" reason .

kind of thing i love , even if i am NOT a track-addict .

also ; an other important reason for me : to SHOW to the others "board-tracker- builders" how to correctly do the job .
i have seen by the past MANY-MANY showbikes this kind , with the gearbox positionned higher than on an original HD :
nice : but in facts : too-much high !
then : the problem was simply "reversed" and nothing else .
( equals to me : " doing all that for this ?! :x Yuck ! )

yes : i'm a bit in late to show my way to do the job to the others ...
but i don't care at all .
this scoot is really big-pleasure to build , and the owner really merits it !
Last edited by milwaukee belle on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:02 am

by th way : now the frame is pratically completed :
i realise this way to build it ( castings + tubings comin'free inside ) is the best way i ever tested !
yes : it's a longer job ( coz i built all the fake-castings one by one )
but once all is ready : the assembly of the frame is really faster than the building of a "common" custom-frame .

and for a beautyfuller result .

I.M.H.O : i think the next "wave" of custom aftermarket frames for bobbers will be the same kind .
but with TRUE castings ( custom and re-designed for ) ....
Hmmmmm : that will be the best stuff on the market ever ! :D
<<

45Brit

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:48 am

just to clarify the mechanics of this, if the three axes of rotation are in a single plane then the torques acting on the countershaft or gearbox output sprocket are equal and opposite. This means that the stresses on the shaft are balanced and it is not dependent on the gearbox shell and bearings to hold it in position.

I've found before now, that the mounting bolts on my Jawa speedway bikes will sometimes loosen from vibration but even when only finger-tight, the countershaft remains in place provided the chains are the right length and tension. The later Jawas had raised clutches for reasons of ground clearance, but it doesn't seem to seriously affect the security or bearing wear, probably because they only run for such short periods anyway

Of course, this isn't true for cross-over gearboxes like the WL and Sportster type where, other things being equal, there is a rotational moment about the vertical axis.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

celticdodge

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:55 am

Wow guys,I am loving this,the concept will definitely be incorporated in my next build.Milwaukee Bell I can't wait to see your frame,how about some more pictures and tell us how you made your castings.It seems to me that the mass production of your frame fittings might be the basis for a new business.I would certainly be interested and I bet a lot of other people would be also,in fact you might consider putting together a retro kit based on this very bike.I think you may have come up with an idea that is really not being met in the motorcycle world and this could be the beginning of something bigger.Keep up the good work and once again thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge. :D :D

Return to Morthodites-"Non Factory"